Plant Tempered Pottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant Tempered Pottery?

So I'm pretty sure this is a pot sherd... But is it old? Appears to have plant fibers throughout. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	2021061817574821787_1624053494913.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	564004

Just looking at the rim I have to say modern.
    SE IA

Comment

I agree that the rim looks modern. The photo doesn't clearly show any plant material. If it were a fired piece of pottery, anything organic would probably be burned away.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Here's a closeup... Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210606_152140500.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	564035

Comment

looks fibrous I hope its not asbestos. It wouldn't surprise me. it has been posted here before by folks who are just starting out. . Click image for larger version  Name:	asbestoswithpenny.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	564045
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's what it looks like Hoss. Don't breath when you handle it, just in case. LOL
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Ugh... How do you identify pottery? Lick it! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Hope it's not asbestos, but it sure looks similar....

Comment

After seeing the close up shots I believe you have a piece of Ellingers Agatized wood bowl piece. They were popular in the 40s and 50s. They were made of wood pieces ground up and mixed with a epoxy type filler ad molded in many sizes.
                SE IA

Comment

Now that’s some worthy information old Rocks .
                  I didn’t know that . Thanks for that share .
                  Now Hoss’s post too .

Comment

Well, you guys sent me on a google quest to see what the heck an agatized wood bowl is. From what I gleaned, they are virtually indestructible. And, none of the products photographed were nearly that thick. Asbestos was also used in many molded plastic products, starting with Bakelite, and cookware handles. I'd be careful with it whatever it is, the fibers no longer look like they are encapsulated, and therefor could be unsafe.

Comment

its not Native American pottery. If it was me I would wet it down put it into a trash bag and get rid of it. Breathing the fibers is hazerdous so if wet the loose fibers cannot become readily air born.
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It definitely feels like stone, so I don't think it's from an agatized wood bowl. Thankfully I'd been keeping it in a ziplock bag. I'll wet it and toss it!

Comment

• Mailman
                          Mailman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good call.

Could be a section of slip-joint casing made from asbestos. I’ve got some buried on my back pasture. It’s old pipe, sometimes used for well casing.
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Tam
                          Tam commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Of course you know that Jethro . Lol
                      Working...
                      X