Argillite Point Worn Partial? Fox Creek Lanceolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argillite Point Worn Partial? Fox Creek Lanceolate

Hi found this possible argillite point awhile ago in New York. In my research/photo comparisons these points do not preserve well at all and it kind of matches well with comparisons and information from older posts on this forum. I even did a rough drawing myself of what could be missing, from what I looked into if it is a point it would've likely been a worn Fox Creek Lanceolate. Definitely looking for a second opinion on this one as I am an amateur, thank you all.
    Attached Files

I find some rhyolite points that have weathered almost not recognizable
    Last edited by willjo; 07-27-2021, 05:37 PM.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Pretty good pictures. Hard to say for sure but you make a good case. I'm pretty familiar with argillite so I feel your pain lol
      New Jersey

Comment

Yeah it's tough, what only makes me confident is that it's a place the material does not occur naturally and other Indian artifacts are found so it had to be brought over, and that suspicious corner. I even tried to do a drawing of it was whole for fun. The weathering is certainly brutal on these.
        Attached Files

Comment

I used to drive up once in a while to the part of the Delaware above Trenton where argillite out crops and bring home a boulder to knap using the wooden billet techniques. The bottom "ear" also looks like a platform so it could be a large flake blade, common for argillite. Just one more thought for the mix LOL.
          New Jersey

Comment

Hay Binito, I've found lots of Argillite Artifacts In my many years of hunting. I do like the material. You do have a piece of something, there just isn't enough left of it to give it a name. I'm guessing it is part of a knife. The shape just isn't quite right to be a Fox Creek. Just my considered opinion. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
            X