Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found artifacts in Connecticut

Hi Everyone,

I live in Hartford County, Connecticut. My son has been making a track on our property, and I’m pretty sure we found a native site (I live in an area known to have been a hunting ground and next to a stream). I have a ton. Some have red paint on them, but I also found this stone with a gray clay on the stone and could tell it was put on there. It’s actually a bear head (we figured this out accidentally). There’s also a stone made out of what looks like sand with a large pink quartz and a smaller blue gray stone…almost like two heads wrapped up.
    Last edited by ConnecticutMMH; 09-17-2021, 02:40 PM.

Welcome from Florida....Pretty much everywhere was a hunting ground, and nothing today looks like it did thousands or even a hundred years ago...I believe the rocks you found are cool, however they are natural not altered by humans..any area near water is good place to find artifacts, keep on lookin.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Yep just some cool rocks your son found some good ones but all natural. Put them around your flowerbeds so he can see them anytime
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Wait that bear face has three earring holes! I think that rock was a club cub!
        North Carolina

Comment

Your finds are natural rocks. I know that’s going to be hard to swallow at first, but take some time to look at finds from CT, MA & RI and you will see that you have tricked yourself into believing you have something that you do not. It happens. But trust in the expertise that is offered on this site. There are hundreds of active posters with cumulative eons of experience, if you want to learn you have landed in a good place.

Comment

If artifact hunting and collecting is something you really want to get into, there are a couple of guide books, for southern New England collectors, and published by the Massachusetts Archaeological Society. If that interests you, just say so in this thread, and I will provide links and descriptions of those published guides.

If the hobby is something you wish to learn, seeing the real deal can only help as well. The Institute of American Indian Studies has collections to view and is in Washington, Ct. The Robbins Museum of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society is in Middleborough, Ma., and has by far the best and most extensive collection of all classes of stone artifacts found in southern New England.

You need to distinguish between rock and artifact. It involves a learning curve. Ultimately, even with the above helpful leads, it comes down to developing an eye while in the act of actually looking for artifacts.
            Rhode Island

Comment

I appreciate all the answers. Believe me, as someone who normally digs bottles, I have to tell people all the time that their bottle isn’t worth much. I do have a question, though, I went back near the site as I found a tree with the bend in it. I want to know why I would find this many triangle stones in only a few minutes? I’ll take better pictures later, but I have a sick little one, so this was the best I could do. And the have marks near the base as well as wrapped. I’m just curious. One is even glass and it’s not a bottle site and I don’t think anyone would use glass as any point, but it’s old glass (that I know). Also, the black paint on the white crescent is paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	66E04D83-88E1-4BDB-97C5-0C9692527CEB.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	586723Click image for larger version

Name:	9AEC6B41-3915-4939-809C-FBA473F74D8A.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	586724Click image for larger version

Name:	4257D4A2-D96D-4878-BFB1-182A5FB58BF8.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	586725

Comment

Comment

Because a tumbled stone will take on a triangle shape after eons of erosion. But what keeps us up at night are lithics which have been shaped by early man!
                  North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                  X