Celt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celt

This is a celt I picked up at the Tucson annual rock -and- mineral show.Any comments ?

I would lean more towards an Archaic Knife of some sort. What is the provenance?
    Thanks Bob

Comment

It was in a box of the same tool perhaps 30 of them. The price was right so I picked it up. The dealer had items from all over the world and the U.S.
      The square edge has the sharpes portion, but it is flaked all the way around.

Comment

This looks some of the Celts I have seen from Europe. The material is very unusual.
        This is a Danish Celt I bought at an auction. I gave it to V.V Turner to study. He was going to see if he could knap one. He said it was very hard to make one that was squared on 4 sides.

Comment

It could very well be a celt, but it lacks use polish on the bit end.  It could have been a digging hoe for agriculture...

Comment

Its very pretty material. I wonder if it was ever used. Would have to look for wear use and mineralzation under a scope. Its a real neat artifact.

Comment

No there is no polish on the end of this one, could be anything, but it was listed under celt.I do have a small one that is semi-square that is polished to a glass like finish on the blade end.

Comment

I think its a Celt by the way its made. As far as polishing it depends on the material and how long it was used,

Comment

Working...
                X