X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylindrical Stone tool

A
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2021, 12:11 AM.

Looks like a highly polished pestle .
    New Jersey

Comment

I'd want to call that a Pick-Bannerstone.... due to the polish, "hafting" groove and no apparent end damage?
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

That's a nice find...the notch seems like it would be for attaching to something. Like a weight...but like bullhead said. Looks kinda pestle- ish..or a tie -on banner stone like Tom said
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Could it be a shaft straightener?
          South Carolina

Comment

Welcome from the east coast..like your avatar.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

just because they aren't present in your area doesn't mean it couldn't be a banner stone that's what I'm betting you have.as we have no way of really knowing trade routes or the wandering of the people's before us.
              Utah

Comment

I think it was meant for you to find it so you could send it to me 😁 I have no idea what it is but must of been something important for the polish to of been put on like that. Nice find whatever it is
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Super nice find. I have no guess. What I think doesn't always matter anyway. Don't think it is a pestle, Banner stone or a weight. But there is a very good reason why it is so highly polished. I've looked at it for a while and just can't come up with a definitive answer, and to tell the truth I have seen hundreds of thousands of Artifacts in my day. Some things will never be understood, and by all rights they don't have to be. Kim
                  Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Oh and welcome to the site D.P. Kim from Central Pa.

Comment

That is one we will never know for sure.
                      SE IA

Comment

perty similar
                        Utah

Comment

I’m guessing atlatl weight. It’s a beautiful artifact no matter what it is.
                          South Dakota

Comment

• Dsno54
                            Dsno54 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            8" atltle weight that weighs 3-4 pounds would be an impressive setup.

It just seams too big for an Atlatl weight. But what do I know. Perhaps an early one. K

Comment

• SDhunter
                            SDhunter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yea you’re right. I went back and looked at its size. It’s pretty big. I wasn’t pay attention to that. Sorry

Was it found in the water? I’m guessing Snake River is actually a waterway and if so the ends might of tumbled like that I bet it was polished all over at one time maybe some kind of Charmstone
                          NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                          X