Bone knapping tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone knapping tool?

This piece was found on the Clearwater River in Idaho. Looks to me like one knob was used for pressure flaking and the smaller for notching?
    Attached Files

Just because of length I don’t think it would provide enough leverage that a knapping tool needs
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Rockcrk
      Rockcrk commented
      Editing a comment
      It kind of looks to be ground into those nubs. I wonder what it was used for? If anything at all.

Nature made. From what I can see in photos.
    SE IA

Comment

Interesting . I would say that your looking for bones about 300+ years old . I’m not familiar with bones buried in or near water but have found many Buffalo and deer bones in middens BRM’s and they look nothing like that bone . The ones I’ve found are old brittle,cracked, discolored from minerals in the soil etc. I would say that bone still has organic material leaching out of it because of the green junk growing on it. I’ve seen that coloration/stuff on old deer bones I’ve happened upon in the woods and old deer skulls hanging in the trees.

Comment

Interesting . I would say that your looking for bones at least 300+ years old to be artifactual, like a knapping tool. Flint was replaced by metal arrowheads in the east pretty early and bows gave way to guns whenever they could get them. . I’m not familiar with bones buried in or near water but have found many Buffalo and deer bones in middens BRM’s and they look nothing like that bone . The ones I’ve found are old brittle,cracked, discolored from minerals in the soil etc. I would say that bone still has organic material leaching out of it because of the green junk growing on it. I’ve seen that coloration/stuff on old deer bones I’ve happened upon in the woods and old deer skulls hanging in the trees.

Comment

Working...
        X