Not sure on a couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure on a couple

Found these this week in a plowed field - north central IL - La Salle County.

Any input would be appreciated.

Here are my thoughts and those of a few other novices who looked at these...

A. Pretty sure this is a core-bi face.
    B. Has the look of a few hafted scrapers I have found.
    C. Linear pieces of chert like this are very rare for the thousands of pieces I have picked up. Looks like a few percussion marks on this but not sure what this could even be other than a scrap piece.
    D. Just a flake with a suggestive appearance.
    E. Pretty sure this is a broken base off a point.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4391A.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	595528

All flaked , all look like have different functions,However to be fair and give an honest opinion on any artifact one needs more than an overhead photo,... side, front, back,bottom etc..all look like chips off the ole block so to speak..cool finds 👍
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Hyzer
      Hyzer commented
      Editing a comment
      Good comment, Hal. I'll try to post a few more.

Here are a few more pics. Using the photo in the original post...

A. Core-bi-face...I think they stopped and discarded this one due to the hump,

Name:	IMG_4400.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	595539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4399.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	595540Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4401.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	595541

B. Hafted scraper?

Name:	IMG_4402.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	595542Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4403.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	595544Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4404.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	595543

Comment

C. Who knows? Just thought this unusual due to its "linear-ness". An unusual flake at least.

Name:	IMG_4398.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	595551Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4395.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	595550Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4394.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	595549Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	595548

Comment

D. Just a flake with a suggestive appearance? It looks like some flaking on it though?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4408.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	595554Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4405.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	595555Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4409.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	595556Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4410.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	595557

E. A broken piece off something, right?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4416.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	595564 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4412.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	595568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4413.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	595569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4414.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	595570
        Last edited by Hyzer; 10-24-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

It really depends on the context they were found in. What other stuff were they found in association with? They all look like typical stuff such as large reduction flakes, or broken or rejected bifaces left behind at a knapping site. But, those sites tend to be very messy with lots of flakes and other broken up rock scattered about. Is that the case?
          Central Virginia

Comment

• Hyzer
            Hyzer commented
            Editing a comment
            Very perceptive and excellent question. The site is "messy". After plowings, rainfalls, etc, it never fails to produce more chert pieces. It's a small area in the field, less than an acre. Actually, there are several places in the family fields with places like that. I have found excellent points near these spots but only one or two right in the messy areas to which you refer.

1nice biface..2 reduction flake ..I don’t see any edgework..C looks like a vertically fractured piece that was struck off a preform..not intentionally..D looks like a broken tip maybe used. As a scraper?..E looks like a finger scraper..?.see what others say..Nice presentation.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

• Hyzer
            Hyzer commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Pretty much what I was thinking. "A" a bi-face and B, C, D most likely scrap stuff. I think "E" has flaking for sure so maybe a finger scraper as you suggest.
            Last edited by Hyzer; 10-24-2021, 01:08 PM.

Thanks for posting those, Hyzer. I think I have the identical twins to all your pieces. Mine come out of a knapping site. The amount of flakes on the ground is incredible. The piece you call “linear”, those always throw me for a loop because I want to call them a blade. You’re obviously in a good spot. The whole, finished ones are probably close by! But for me, I can’t help but pick up the debitage too.
          South Carolina

Comment

I think the only whole one you have is the bi face but I wasn’t there so just a guess
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• Hyzer
              Hyzer commented
              Editing a comment
              The bi-face is the only one I am sure on, and no problem with guessing. I was there and I'm still guessing!

And thanks, Josie, for commenting! I'm guessing my twins of yours go way beyond that, maybe octuplets or more! It is incredible the debitage I pick up. I leave nothing behind because I don't want it distracting me next time I'm there...but sure enough there's always a bunch more next time.

These tubs and 5 gallon buckets are full of the stuff.

Name:	20210908_174116~3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	595592

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Your doin your part to clean up the planet 😊

Well you have a good spot to hunt . Many cannot find a chip . Looks like a camp and production area to me .

Comment

• Hyzer
              Hyzer commented
              Editing a comment
              Camp & production area for sure. There are a few other spots in my in-laws' acreage like that. When I walk out of those spots I can't find a chip either.

Off the camp/production sites, down by a creek, there are still places where big hunks of raw chert are embedded in the banks and in the stream.

Nice presentation hyzer....i believe others have given u solid replies, so i wont comment, but nice finds
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
            X