Inscribed Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inscribed Rock

My son was out metal detecting chasing a signal in a hole about three feet deep . This piece of shale popped out of the hole with the carved letters ? Click image for larger version

Name:	PA242536.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	595791Click image for larger version

Name:	PA242539.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	595792Click image for larger version

Name:	PA242538.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	595793

Interesting find, definitely makes an E, not sure about the other shapes, hopefully y'all can get back there to look for more pieces to it
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Natural nature made piece.
      SE IA

Comment

I don't know Oldrocks. Don't count it out so quickly. Just how soft is this material South fork. Picture the underside for me will you. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          My comment wasn't taken as hoped. After looking at so many rocks and eppages I posted my normal what is this rock as a joke. I should of made it clearer as it was a bad joke I guess. I have no idea on the piece so thought it ok with my weird sence of humor.

No problem Old man. I was just looking at this pict for a long time and something looks very historical to me. Hope to see if anything else turns up from that hole. So South did you find the metal you were detecting in that hole? If so what was it? Looking at this I think I see some indications if incising that may be incidental to the letters. K
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

No ideas but I will be watching. For a second I thought it was April 1st
          NW Georgia,

Comment

It looks like very soft material, and the engraving looks like it was done with a carving chisel. Like I learned to do in an engraving class.

Comment

The shale is soft this was mine tailings they were metal detecting for gold in the mine waste piles . Maybe a miner carved his name and this was a piece ? the backside is covered in mud and rough .

Comment

Looks tool inscribed to my eye. Many miners did graffiti on shaft walls so if found in tailings it makes sense to me. Cool find
                👍😀
                Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

I see :

E > pictograph of an onion.

Clearly means : Eat More Onions.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Nooooo..... it clearly interprets

LETS GO BRANDON!

Comment

Cute.

is this middle school?

Comment

Don't know what to make of that. I'm surprised that it's not scribed on a flat surface, if it is, in fact, scribed. Yet the letters seem so clear. Nature can plays some elaborate tricks. Miners did graffiti. I can't even guess. Would definitely have brought it home though.
                        California

Comment

• south fork
                          south fork commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It most likely was a flat surface before they Blasted lol .

Its definitely interesting!...🙂
                        JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Comment

Working...
                        X