Any ideas what type this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas what type this is?

Found this in a water run off across a logging road in Greenup County Kentucky within sight of the Ohio River. I’ve shared in Facebook groups but nobody has given a definite answer. Some say it has Clovis features but was more than likely found by a later tribe and reworked

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer considering condition and wear. That does look like could very well be a flute. If so not being able to identify it is still a unique find.
    Nice intro! Welcome to the site.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks! There’s a flute on the other side as well but only runs half the length as this side.

Comment

How wonderful you spotted this! It’s so worn and old, but maintained distinctive flute. Yes, very nice intro. Welcome!
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Looks to be reworked to a not so old knife. I’ve got a Pickwick that has a flute/ thinning flake on the base.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Probably a Hopewell Point, maybe it did used to be another point or maybe those are thinning flakes. Or check out this theory, it got an impact fracture then reworked from the other end/direction. A woodland corner notch with character.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I would think that if a reworked point the flute would have different patination than the part that would be reworked, most i have found reworked has a different patination in worked area. Like JoshinMo said could be thinning flake
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Scott slone
                Scott slone commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome. That’s pretty plausible. If anything it’s interesting. Thanks

Maybe an impact fracture imitating a flute.
              California

Comment

nice find.
                Utah

Comment

My guess would be an archaic point with some aggressive thinning.
                  Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                  X