Help Identifying Arrowhead- First Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Arrowhead- First Find

First off, hello! I found this forum when I was trying to figure out what kind of arrowhead I might have found and wondered if you all would be able to help!

I am super new to this. We have a creek along our property that my kids and I go out creek stomping and crawdad hunting and looking for “treasures.” We’ve found all sorts of tiles and bottles and jars but earlier this summer I found an arrowhead while we were out there. Literally just looked down and there it was.

location info: Found in the creek along our property. In the hills of Lawrence county, Ohio. Semi-rural area in the hills, about 1 mile from the Ohio river.

In the photos, some I took with a tape measure. One or two I took with a one inch by one inch square tile (also found in the creek. 😆)

If there is any other information I missed, please let me know! I read the post beforehand but I may have missed something.

Based off my googling and what I knew was in this area, my guess was maybe Adena or Hopewell? But I really don’t have any idea.

welcome to arrowheads.com Its hard to say what type you have due to the damage on the base. I am not seeing an Adena type as you mentioned. Is the point thin? Perhaps intrusive mound or Jacksreef corner notch. It is large for these types but the do have a pentagonal outline and the notches on both sweep in and up from the corners.
    Last edited by Hoss; 11-30-2021, 02:45 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot on call!

Thanks! Yeah it was a wild guess, I really have no clue.

would say it’s thin. At the very tip, roughly 1mm by my tape measure. No more than 2 or 3mm in the middle where it’s thickest.

Comment

yes that would be considered thin in my opinion and it appears flat in cross section. Judging by the pentagonal shape and the one intact notch I would call it a Jacksreef corner notch. Nice find especially because it was close to home. Not everyone can go out back and find a point.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Congrats that is a heck of a nice find! Hold it up to the light, and I bet you'll see the nice warm glow of translucent material. (Carter Cave probably.)
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice find in your back yard!
          SW Connecticut

Comment

great find , congrats
            Wyoming

Comment

really nice good on ya. cant beat that for a first find.
              Utah

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida..Cool find nice material.
                Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome from Alabama. I agree that it is most likely a Jacks Reef Corner Notch.

Comment

Wow. Some newbies have all the luck…..

Welcome, LK! I hope you’re hooked because not only heckuva first find, you in area of long rich history, with many, many treasures; and you’ve come upon site with collective IQ bout 20000, and hundreds years experience!
                    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Welcome to the A.com family, your in good company. I do see the resemblance to a Jacks Reef. I would like to call it a MacPherson because that's what it looks like to me. The Macs are known to be made of Chalcedony, however that is more of an East Coast point, And I doubt it is found in Ohio. But what do I know! I agree with Clovis, I bet it's translucent. Kim From Central Pa.
                      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Ever since I found it, I look to see what else I can find when I’m out there, but figures that I found that one at a time when I wasn’t really looking for anything, just out playing around with the kids. Of course now that I’m looking, I haven’t found anything.

I have a B.A. in History and took archaeology in college so it’s definitely something I can see myself getting really in to. Especially when I can pretty much start in my own yard.

Are there any good books/resources you all would recommend?

Comment

• Cecilia
                          Cecilia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Here you go; you gonna love this site, “Knowledge Bank” of OSU, with lotsa old copies periodical, The Ohio Archeologist! Vol. 4, 1966 was one of my very first repasts, and I ate those illustrations up with a spoon!

Welcome fromSouthern Indiana. Nice little corner notch. The web site to google is Projectile Points ID; and it will produce a site that will help you ID points in your area.
                        Keep looking down......

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X