Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 river find would like your opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 river find would like your opinions!

Moderator note: Unexplained missing content!

If I found it on the Columbia I would call it a blade. Used for heavy duty cutting. A useable tool. We see a lot of those up here most likely used for heavy cutting of game. A lot of those are found in our campsites.

Comment

Hey thanks Ron, it is still sharp. Probably enough to cut, just always thought was so thick for blade. You could be right thanks Joe!

Comment

similar blades are found on Archaic sites in NC.

Comment

kinda looks like it was hafted at the rounded end, is it ground? it also looks like a flint celt that I have>>>>
          North Carolina

Comment

Pre form or perhaps a "Chopping tool" for butchering purposes.
            Bone2stone
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Joe, sure looks like a pretty piece of material,  I do agree with the fact that it may have very well been hafted. Looking at the top of the bottom pic sure resembles thinning for attachment of some sort. I have seen flint celts that look like that in appearance. The thing that challenges me anyway is that flint celts seem to be very uniform to erratic as all get out. Whether a celt or heavy duty cutting tool it looks as though it was hafted at one time. Great size on it as well. Bill

Comment

Thanks to all for your posts. David yes it is ground -and- thinner on the larger end. There is percussion flaking on the smaller end on both sides. So it probably was hafted for what ever it was used for. Jessy I thought about the Pre form to but it is so large, what kind of pre form? Bill I agree don't know why use such nice rock for tool. All comments sound very possible to me, thanks again guys joe!

Comment

Working...
                X