Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ever find: Nodena Classic perhaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever find: Nodena Classic perhaps?

Found Central Indiana, United States, in a creek bed. My kiddo found it. I am only guessing Nodena based on Google searches. I have never found an arrowhead before. Anyone have more accurate identification or information?

Hi taylorr and welcome to our forum from Alabama. Regarding the type. I never found a Nodena and my old hunting grounds supposedly falls within their range of distribution. Although your point looks like it could be a Nodena base upon its outline, the resources I have all say that Nodenas are ellipitical in cross section whereas your point is flattened in cross section. Maybe some Nodenas turned out flattened, who knows. But what I see does not able me to call it a Nodena. Nevertheless it is a dandy point. Maybe this will whet your appetite to start looking for them and join the ranks of many on our forum who have a passion for this hobby.

Comment

nice blade

Comment

You can't find potato chips that thin
        Wisconsin

Comment

Nice find and welcome to the forum.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

My profile picture has a bunch of classic Nodena points from the Nodena site and a few other sites in Arkansas and Missouri. They are one of types that were likely cached as quivers of arrows. (Perino excavated them hafted on shafts, but didn't carry a camera. The shafts were basically stains in the dirt.)

There are similar points found at Mississippian typically the Ft Ancient & Caborn-Welborn sites in Indiana. Willow Leaf is a more common name for them in Indiana, but like Nodena they come in a utilitarian version and a cache quality version.

Any chance you are near the Wabash River? (They are found more in the Wabash drainage than the White River drainage.)

A picture of the cache ones from my collection- ex Townsend

Click image for larger version

Name:	B2C04B4B-B4DE-4BD3-B17C-2046BD1E63D3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	642265
            Last edited by clovisoid; 06-23-2022, 10:47 AM.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow Joshua. Those are some amazing points you have acquired. Your post is very informative. Thanks.

Nice one for the kiddo! Keep hitting the gravel bars in that creek and you'll get your first one.

Comment

Sweet blade/point. Welcome, also from central Indiana!
              Central Indiana

Comment

Hay Taylor it really doesn't matter for me what they call it. It's a sweet Artifact. K
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                X