Obsidian Pendant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian Pendant?

Hello! This is my first post (happy to have found this group!) and I am looking for some assistance identifying this unusual obsidian piece I found in Moffat county, Colorado. I originally thought it was an obsidian scraper or tool, but upon closer examination it appears to be notched down on the sides. A family member noted that since obsidian is not native to that area, it may have been trade obsidian from the Yellowstone area. He felt that this may possibly be some kind of ceremonial piece or pendant due to the special nature of the material for that region. I would appreciate any help as I have never found anything like this. Thanks for any help on identification and potential age.

Welcome to the forum. That is an interesting artifact. Ill be checking back to see if anyone has some answers for you.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome from Florida..It looks like one of my preforms..Not sayin it is one..šŸ‘
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• SanJuanCat
        SanJuanCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Iā€™ll read about preformsā€¦.
        Last edited by SanJuanCat; 09-18-2022, 12:14 AM.

I was reading that the Native Americans that were mining the obsidian from obsidian cliffs in the Yellowstone would make large cashes of preforms for trade. They would keep varying shapes and sizes.
      That looks a lot like a preform to me, for a scraper, and coincides with what I read. I may be wrong though and I know others will be on here with more expert opinion soon.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Preforms are artifacts and yours is a beautiful one..Of course itā€™s neat..Donā€™t let anyone tell you different šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

• Dmaver
        Dmaver commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, all artifacts are awesome, in my opinion. I love finding anything that they utilized for any purpose.
        Keep hunting and showing us your finds!

• SanJuanCat
        SanJuanCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much for your comments and insight!

You may never get a answer on that one.
      Iā€™m not seeing a pendant. And Iā€™d dismiss the @ notches as damage. You can see fresh damage to the one side. A knife or blade, used up , would be my guessā€¦.nothing says ceremonial, obsidian traveled far and wide
      Southeastern Minnesotaā€™s driftless area

Comment

• SanJuanCat
        SanJuanCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the insight!

Thank you all for the comments! I agree, any artifact is a treasure!

Comment

Just wonderingā€¦. is it typical for preforms to have all the tiny chipping all around the edges as well as the basic flaking to create the preform shape?

Comment

Looks like a scraper/cutting tool with a couple modern dings to me. Preforms that I have found usually donā€™t have secondary flaking. Cool find!
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• SanJuanCat
            SanJuanCat commented
            Editing a comment
            That seems to make sense, thank you!

Thank you!

Comment

May be a preform but the secondary flaking would make me think a tool of some use. Nice find Welcome from Iowa.
            SE IA

Comment

• SanJuanCat
              SanJuanCat commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks much!

I live out west in Obsidian country. It looks like one of the many I find out here in the quarry sites. Obviously it could have been used as a tool especially for how sharp Obsidian is but it looks more like a trade blank or core.

Comment

• SanJuanCat
              SanJuanCat commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for your thoughts!

Whatever it is I'm sure it is precious to you Cat. I like it that's for sure. Welcome to the forum, Kim from Pa.
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Iā€™d lean towards a small trade blank. Obsidian was highly prized on the trading routes. Yellowstone obsidian has been found in many Hopewell mounds in southeast Ohio and was held in high regard by that culture.
              Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• SanJuanCat
                SanJuanCat commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! Good to know!
            Working...
            X