Fluted Clovis points...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluted Clovis points...?

Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post. I saw these for sale and was interested, but I wanted to do my homework first.

They were claimed to be Clovis points. I wish I'd taken a better photo.

-Can anyone tell if these are reproductions?
    -If so, how can one tell if they are fake?

I've wanted an original Clovis piece for a long time.

Thank you for your help!

Best,
    -Dave
    Attached Files

Extremely hard to tell by that single pic particularly with them under glass. Can you take them out of the frame and take more pics in natural light? Do you know anything about them? Who, when and where found?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'd be pretty skeptical as finding one whole one would be amazing. As Greg stated it's really difficult to tell from that picture. What are the odds of finding three whole "Clovis" that are made frome three different lithics and zero visible damage. I'm not seeing patina either.
      South Carolina

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida.Extremely rare to find all three the same shape..
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Better pics needed but not really. Almost 100 percent they are modern. I would post pics on that 1 percent. If they are less than 15g, they are fake

Comment

Lack of patina , and the shape they are in, would throw a red flag. Buyer be aware.
            I’m not buying them…
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dave. I think you got your answer. Kim from Pa.
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I would not buy them for same reason as North stated plus the red point and the tan point are Folsom culture. Much more rare especially in that condition. One of those too good to be true and not much chance of being old.
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Modern no doubt. I've wanted one for years also. 55 yrs of walking and nope. Even under glass they look new.
                  SE IA

Comment

I have wanted one for years, also, so I put my debitage and Gorilla Glue to work! As a whole, it's modern, but piece by piece it's quite old!
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5149.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	655596

Comment

• outlaws15
                      outlaws15 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Clever and awesome

Thanks! I have buckets and buckets of flakes, chips and chunks, so with summer crops covering my fields, rather than looking for points, I spend some time doing this!
                    It starts off rather simple, just grab a flake and glue it down, but very soon it becomes strategic, find the right size and shape - like a jigsaw puzzle sort of.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertical.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	655603Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5566.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	655601Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5552.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	655602

Comment

• outlaws15
                      outlaws15 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      U should start a new post about ur work

• Hyzer
                      Hyzer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have posted a few of those pics in another thread that focused on "chert art" so I did not want to keep duplicating with a separate thread.

Very very cool
                    Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Hyzer View Post
                      I have wanted one for years, also, so I put my debitage and Gorilla Glue to work! As a whole, it's modern, but piece by piece it's quite old!
                      Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5149.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	655596
                      What an amazing use for flakes, preforms and debitage because as much as all of us on HERE think they are super cool; in fairness they're truly just rocks that some dude 1000-5000 years ago decide to bash with another rock- and then threw away! Probably cussed at it for breaking wrong as he tossed it over his shoulder. So what a great use for them. You've inspired me to make one of my own!

Comment

• Hyzer
                        Hyzer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        KY-FarmLife, good humor there and I appreciate those kind remarks.

If you do get something finished, send me a pic.

You probably woulda done the same as me, but maybe this will help: I printed out an outline of the point I wanted to make. Then, I cut it out and taped it onto the board. Then, I penciled around the cutout that I taped down. Finally, I removed the cutout and started gluing chert into the penciled outline on the board. Gorilla Glue (clear version, not original) makes a great adhesion but it was a bit of a task to work with because either the wood or the chert has to be wet (water) for the glue to work. Other glues not needing water would probably work as well or better. Good luck.

Thanks again, outlaws15. I'll post one more thing I did with my debitage. My last name begins with "N" and my wife's last name begins with an "M". So...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1008181717-01.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	655637

Comment

very cool ... imaginative.. excellent.
                        Utah

Comment

Working...
                        X