Help identifying a projectile point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a projectile point

My dad found this a few years ago on our farmland in northeastern North Dakota. After looking through our collection we were curious how old it could be. I’m very new to identifying and can’t seem to narrow this one down. If anyone has any ideas I’d greatly appreciate it! It seems the material type is not typical either although I can’t determine what it is. It’s about 3 inches long and heavy.

Hi Dan and welcome to our forum.I can't offer a suggestion as to the type point you have and consequently the time period during which it was made. You might try to visit the website projectilepoints.net. Sometimes it is helpful in identifying point types. However your point is not a projectilepoint in spite of the name of this forum and the name of the other website. Your point was used as a knife. Also, we have some members from MInnesota who may be able to ID your point.

Comment

Interesting! Well that would explain my struggle to ID it. Thank you for your help I’ll have to do some more research!

Comment

My guess would be a Goshen point that has seen a lot of use. Late paleo, about 11,000 before present.
        Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

• Dani28
          Dani28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Goshen was one I had marked as a possibility. I’m starting to think that’s the one!

It has a Paleo look to it !!!!
        New Jersey

Comment

• Dani28
          Dani28 commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought so too! Really sweet if it’s that old

Welcome from west central Florida 👍🇺🇸
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• Dani28
          Dani28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Happy to be here. Also, we are thinking of all of you down in Florida. It’s a beautiful state with great people
          Last edited by Dani28; 10-03-2022, 04:43 PM.

Originally posted by Dani28 View Post
        Interesting! Well that would explain my struggle to ID it. Thank you for your help I’ll have to do some more research!
        The fact that it’s more likely a knife won’t interfere in your effort to ID it. This is because all projectile point guides are showing tools we refer to as projectile points, or just points for short, but many of those typology guides will use and illustrate as examples of a point type, examples of the type that were in fact used as knives to begin with. And, in fact, most all “points” go through a “usage cycle” as they get resharpened. So what started out as a knife might eventually be resharpened for use as a scraper, or a drill, or a perforator, etc. during the course of a point’s so-called “usage life”. So, when you come to a page in a projectile point guide, the illustrations used will be correct for the type, but those examples, especially large examples, too large and heavy for use as a dart point(used with an atlatl) or use as an arrowhead(used with a bow) will in fact have been used as knives or cutting tools.

So, yes, use the projectile point typology guides for your region, you’re doing the right thing, but understand the illustrations or photos used to illustrate the particular type will include examples that were not actually used as projectiles per se…..
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Dani28
          Dani28 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is good to know! I have a lot to learn but this is a lot of helpful information I appreciate the response. It seems like it has gone through a couple changes. The tip is more worn than the rest. Regardless what it was used for it’s an interesting piece. Thanks again!

Welcome to our site Dani. Your piece does appear to be very old. Looks like it has Patina. Kim from Pa.
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Dani28
          Dani28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! It definitely looks like it’s seen a lot of use. If only it could talk I’d love to hear the stories
      Working...
      X