Are these scrapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these scrapers?

In a previous topic I included a picture of a creek behind a slope in a newish neighborhood where I found a rough flake knife, part of an arrow head, and a thumb scraper. Those artifacts were found along the slope, but it was indicated that the gravel bar of the creek might have some potential. My wife and I finally were able to get to the gravel bar of the creek just beyond this slope today. We looked for about two hours, and only found three pieces of interest. They all have characteristics of scrapers I have seen, but we are not convinced. The first one from the left in the first picture has the most skepticism. At best, my opinion is that it may have been worked on, but abandoned.

As for the middle piece and first from the right we are leaning towards them being scrapers of some kind. What do you think?

Even if they are just rocks, I agree with others who said the creek has potential and will probably return after the next strong rain.
    Last edited by LeeRendan; 12-05-2022, 01:18 AM.

and I forgot, here are the close ups of the first one. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Lee, I’m not really seeing anything with tell- tell signs of being used by early people. Texas is way out of my range of knowledge so we will have to hear from the Texas members..Thanks for sharing.
      North Central Kentucky

Comment

Update: I was looking at some information that compared natural and artificial flaking and I agree with you KyChipStone, and I think I can safely toss the left and right pieces into the rock pile. However, that center piece still makes me wonder. It has that notch at the bottom left that I have seen other end scrapers with, and I can feel a bulb of percussion in the center. The rough underside looks like it was the outer, I guess crust is the word for it, core piece it was knocked from, while the glassy smooth side was shaped.

But then again, I am a novice at best, and could likely be completely off on this. I will post a few more pictures of it for a better look.
        Attached Files

Comment

• KyChipStone
          KyChipStone commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, that one does show signs of being worked. You have a great creek to hunt, looking forward to your finds.Thanks for sharing!

Good you got back to that area. Don't throw that stuff away. Store it and add everything else you find there. It all tells a small part of the story of what went there on so many years ago. Lee the pict of you standing on the gravel bar, turn around and see that bank behind you that has slued off. LOOK THERE! To me that looks like a good spot to find things that were embedded in the bank. If you find something there than look in the water as Artifacts wash down stream. And as for the gravel bar,,, that stuff washed downstream, so try to follow it to its source up stream, Okay? Just a little advice from an avid River Runner hunter. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

​ This is 3rd rock, first pic. If I dug this up Georgia, I’d toss it in my box of maybe-scrapers coz of what I see in blue. But heck you in Texas, and that pretty piece may just have lil river chatter (as Surface Hunter usta call it). You gotta red-headed Wife, tho! Yay! Tell her women better hunters (not me, coz I’m a digger!), she needs find fine lil Washita or Ellis or Belvedere or Scalorn coz they are there….
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• LeeRendan
            LeeRendan commented
            Editing a comment
            I will tell her. She had fun and wants to go on more.

That last piece you have pictured has some work. You will notice upon inspection that the piece has a thick stack in the center & some possible angular fracture lines that upon further knapping will fragment the piece further. This is probably why the knapper abandoned the piece at that point. Hope it helps your understanding ... It is by no means the correct or final word ...

Comment

I agree with Aug . But I don’t know Texas at all .
            That last one looks like a chip that has been stuck to me .
            Seeing as I have a 1000 to 1 ratio in that department I could be correct .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	666296This is doodled-on pic would not post, referenced above, ……I think, maybe….
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• LeeRendan
                LeeRendan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I am going to put this one in my "Possible Scraper" group for future comparisons with other pieces that I find in the future. Thank you!
            Working...
            X