Mound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mound

Went to see the local burial mound today just thought I would share some photos with the group.

thanks for sharing.
    Utah

Comment

That's a neat site. Originally there were sites all around Vincennes/Knox County.

Squire & Davis mapped hundreds of mounds in the Mississippi valley, but it was a French researcher named Constantine Samuel Rafinesque who visited the area of Vincennes while staying with James Audubon in Kentucky who identified hundreds of sites in that area alone. Before development and agriculture took over, there were dozens of mounds along the Wabash. Sugar Loaf was a relatively minor site probably 2 miles inland.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• smbore
        smbore commented
        Editing a comment
        yer a bank of knowledge man always look forward to your input....

That’s neat that there’s a preserved mound in Vincennes. I’ll have to check it out sometime. I lived for a while in St. Louis, where some still refer to it as “Mound City” because there used to be dozens of them. For anyone not familiar with this sad chapter, most were used as fill dirt for overpasses or railroad tracks. I didn’t know there was a concentration along the Wabash until I read Clovisoid’s post. I’d imagine similar things were probably done all across the Americas.

I wonder how far in the future we will have to wait until we can see 3-D imaging of the insides, with enough resolution to ID things?
      Last edited by BoilerMike; 01-30-2023, 07:54 PM.
      Central Indiana

Comment

Oh that’s neat...thanks 🤗🇺🇸.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Wow, that’s a big one
          South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the pics. The mound builder cultures are a favorite subject of mine. The Squire and Davis work is well worth picking up for anyone interested in the subject. Here’s a link with a small description of the book.

This was a must have for my library. Not sure if the book has been posted before but a second mention can’t hurt. I fell down the rabbit hole reading about the mound building cultures years ago. Ancient Monuments Of The Mississippi Valley was published in1848 by the Smithsonian. The work by Squire and Davis is considered to

Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Thanks for your efforts in showing us the photos about the Vincennes mound. Mounds were built for a fairly long period of time during the Woodland era and over much of the eastern USA. Do you know what culture this fairly large mound belongs to?

Comment

Working...
              X