What did I find? Hammerhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I find? Hammerhead?

Hello all. I'm new to the group and admittedly not an artifact hunter. I have had this piece laying around my house for many years and never bothered to ask anyone what (if anything) it is. This was found in my new home construction in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area. Pictures are attached. Any thoughts on what this is other than a rock with a hole in it?

Thanks

Welcome to our site sfc. The hole sure looks unnatural. Generally natural holes aren't that well shaped. That's why I'm thinking it is a native made tool. Normally stones that were used like that one, show some indication of hammer marks. Caused by striking it against other hard services. I'm not seeing those abrasions marks. That doesn't mean it isn't a tool. Others will comment their opinion. I hope it is a good one. Kim From Pa.
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Probably an β€œomar” stone. Natural hole, but looks like it possibly was used for something and the hole was modified.
      Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

Hide a key πŸ”‘ stone would be my guess.

Comment

Or... A Hide-a-Beer

Comment

Welcome from West Central Florida..πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

If it is an Omar stone I think is has been modified some how. Omar stones have a concave bottom, at least all that I have seen or have. Strange.
              SE IA

Comment

Working...
              X