Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help learning information about this peice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help learning information about this peice!

I found surface hunting a cornfield in Central PA (Mifflin county)
    It seems like a knife id guess. Im in the early stages of hunting and determining which peices are "good"
    Any information would help a ton.
    Attached Files

Looks like a scraper to me.....I'd call it a good find....has some nice flaking and nice material
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

It certainly looks like it was made from a piece of Upper Mercer Chert. They quarried it extensively near Coshocton Ohio (also called Coshocton Chert). This material was a favorite and is found over a wide area Nice find.
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Really shows up well on that color background gonna have to try it for black points.🇺🇸.thanks..
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Definitely utilized. Cool piece.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

A nice little tool used for scraping and probably cutting. I wouldn’t call it a knife
            South Dakota

Comment

I'm having a little problem perceiving the overall actual shape. But looking at the 5'th photo, It looks like a unifacial Limace, generally considered paleo.

Comment

I agree it looks paleo.

Comment

Stansbery, it is an odd shape. Hard to photograph. It has a flat side it's standing on in the 2nd to last picture. A scraper and cutter makes more sense. This has been great info so far I appreciate all the feedback

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	77FAE97F-0978-462D-B370-8CAD427C9C1E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	675214Click image for larger version  Name:	FC50E7CB-4ACB-4A55-8D49-36424A4F21DD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	675213 This looks like a piece that was flake off a core . My guess is that they were looking at making a projectile but ran into problems with a bad spot near the base and can see they tried to thin it but the flint wasn’t responding well . So it ended up a cutting scraping tool . My guess is they were going for a projectile point like these . PS that looks like it had a fresh ding from the plow. The lighter colored stuffClick image for larger version  Name:	1FD41449-8BD3-4C0E-9FF3-DA441C294128.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	675212
                    Last edited by SGT.Digger; 02-08-2023, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Lone Star
                      Lone Star commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice. What would you label them as?

• SGT.Digger
                      SGT.Digger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s real hard typing theses Tennessee mtn Indians lone star . A few types I find are well known but many are a head scratcher to me and tough to nail down . I forget what I thought these were I’d have to look back in the books .

• SGT.Digger
                      SGT.Digger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Possibly a nodena or lerma type point. These are cousins found in different shelters same Indians

That's a nice tidy little tool for sure. Love the glossy black. Don't get it much near me.
                    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

SGT that's some helpful stuff thank you. That makes alot of sense

Comment

Working...
                      X