Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb to arrowtips and such 1st one only one I've ever ran across

Hella fellas,ladies.
    . My name is Joe, I typically detect relics but to many ditchwalker videos put my butt in the creek for alot of hours back mid March daily and after many days I basically tripped over this thing and I'm on no knowledge on arrowheads. I've spent many hours analyzing interweb photos and have opinions but I don't like dealing in opinions or speaking as I'd I know when I don't for sure. What do yall think type,age,worth, is it a thing folks would seek or I should just cherish!? Id love many many view points and or educated opinion on those questions above. Thanks in advance,be safe
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Backfieldloop; 05-25-2023, 02:23 PM. Reason: Closer pictures to ensure all details are seen

Nice dalton point condition is field grade. We do not discuss monetary values in the forum. I will say that its not a high value point. This is due to the missing corner and water worn appearance.
    Last edited by Hoss; 05-25-2023, 07:28 AM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yep a Dalton and I think Its quite nice, congrats. It's Something You can cherish for sure.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thank you fellas.

Comment

Cool looks like been tumbling in creek for a while

Comment

Found it in a creek just north of goodletsville. I'm only beginning to get into this from relic detecting. Seems as If the arrowhead community is very much divided and by a wide margin!? Is there a definite source whr all people can get equal,unbiased,status not involved answer to what they find!? Idc to be clear I've just posted this to get a sure answer in 5,6,7 spots and every place has different conclusions. Then there's the thousand pictures I've compared countless hours and it just plainly leans one way imo and idc I had no clue still don't. But if we get 30 dalton pics that are best we find comparable,clovis,Redstone there is one that you can find basically 20 pics to me identical whe the other 2 a handful!? I just want fact, and lord I'm sorry for the low man in this arrowhead business across America it seems deeply political and elitist hierarchy status driven and that's undeniable! 10 guys with decades in couldn't or wouldn't come to the same conclusion and that's a problem

Comment

I think the discrepancies your getting are due more to the condition of the piece, vs the artifact community. As mentioned before, that one has been pretty tumbled. Folks have to kinda "fill in the gaps" and make an educated guess. This leaves room for interpretation.

If it were a perfect, museum grade piece, the i.d. would be more unanimous. I think. Hope that helps.

Still a cool piece. I'd be proud of it.
              Western Kentucky

Comment

If you’re looking for end all tell all “definite” information from an answer on a forum, then you have the problem 😂 Real research and scientific conclusions take alot more than mashing a keyboard.

Comment

There is no “definite” source for the information you want. No head of the American Arrowhead Society to “COA” your piece. People’s opinions are respected based on the knowledge they possess.

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Could not say it better, or shorter and sweeter, than that!

Originally posted by Backfieldloop View Post
                  Found it in a creek just north of goodletsville. I'm only beginning to get into this from relic detecting. Seems as If the arrowhead community is very much divided and by a wide margin!? Is there a definite source whr all people can get equal,unbiased,status not involved answer to what they find!? Idc to be clear I've just posted this to get a sure answer in 5,6,7 spots and every place has different conclusions. Then there's the thousand pictures I've compared countless hours and it just plainly leans one way imo and idc I had no clue still don't. But if we get 30 dalton pics that are best we find comparable,clovis,Redstone there is one that you can find basically 20 pics to me identical whe the other 2 a handful!? I just want fact, and lord I'm sorry for the low man in this arrowhead business across America it seems deeply political and elitist hierarchy status driven and that's undeniable! 10 guys with decades in couldn't or wouldn't come to the same conclusion and that's a problem
                  Like you said, you’re new to this. Typology is not a piece of cake. There is no definitive source. There are regional typology guides. It’s not a problem. It’s something we all live with. When you deal with surface finds, you deal with artifacts that are completely out of context. When ID is easy, so be it. When it’s not, different opinions are offered. I have 60+ years surface collecting, mostly in RI. I believe I’m stumped all the time, I’m sure I make mistakes. All kinds of things can factor in. What do I know about the site where it was found? What cultural levels seem to be represented at the site I’m surfacing hunting, and have hunted for years? What is the lithic used with this point? Looks like a Neville, but wait, it’s made of quartz, quartz was never used for Neville points, must be a different type. It’s been resharpened, what did it look like when it was at first stage, and not yet resharpened? One type can start to look like a different type through resharpening.

Some, like Jeff Boudreau, when he created our New England typology, was very exacting, and depended very much on the metrics he determined would apply to certain types. Things like the range of angles exhibited by a corner notch! Very few of us know our types so well, that we can just use metrics and solve every point type we puzzle over. But, what it is is not “a problem”, as you seem to feel. And with certain types, unless you find them in a controlled excavation, with exact context, one may simply not know if one has found a Vosburg, or a Brewerton Eared Notched, just to mention two types that can be hard, even impossible, to distinguish as surface finds. 10 guys can’t agree? It’s not a problem. It comes with the territory.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Very nice find for sure.
                    As in everything else, opinions are a dime a dozen. Some people talk with experience and some, not so much.
                    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Welcome from Michigan. Nice find you have there.
                      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

welcome from utah.... dandy find..
                        Utah

Comment

I'm confused. Why does it appear broken in the next to last pic?

Comment

Definitely a nice piece
                            Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                            X