Rock with cuts...artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock with cuts...artifact?

Found this rock along with the broke arrowhead...the cuts in the rock looks man made,if so what was this rock used for?

Thanks

Definitely man made cuts,as for purpose? I don't know. I have found odd, plain stones with tallys and cuts also. Maybe to keep count of something?

Comment

Maybe that is how they kept score when playing games.. Idk.. .just a guess..

Comment

If not tally, sharpening grooves? If sandstone, might be sharpening grooves, created by the process of sharpening. Interesting find, out of the ordinary.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Does the rock seem abrasive?  If so,  then probably what CMD said. Sometimes a person never
          knows for sure,  but can have some ideas anyway.   Gary
          South Dakota

Comment

May have been used at a right angle to the lines as well. Like a rasp or file?
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm not sure if its sandstone but when I rinsed it off it left some of its red color on the towel...it is abrasive almost like fine sandpaper...it's two tone in color(red and light yellow?)and it's heavy.thanks for all the great ideas
              Picture is the stone with cuts and another stone of the same type

Comment

Hard to tell from photos, but sandstone is usually abrasive. Makes for a natural sandpaper so to speak. Quartzite can be abrasive too. Sandstone subject to heat and pressure over time becomes quartzite.  I like Greg's idea of a file, did not occur to me. And like Gary said, sometimes we remain puzzled.
                Rhode Island

Comment

It could be for making points. I could be wrong but abraider. This where they would grind the edge to make less sharp so when the took off a flake, the edge did not crush, and a flake was generated. Its call setting up a platform.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                  X