What did I find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I find

Found in Tazewell County IL. I really don't collect arrowheads so just trying to get a idea of age an what they are worth so they could go to someone who collects them. The ones on the top are transparent if held to the light the black one just the tip is. the bottom ones are not transparent.

Welcome. Did you purchase those? Most of them look like modern reproductions IMO.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Ron
      I have to agree with Chris (cgode), I'm afraid. They look like modern agate and jasper points of the kind being imported from India and sold on ebay. Who said they were found in Illinois?
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Yup...All modern made in Mexico or India.

Comment

Yes I agree ,,, modern repos
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

Modern 4 sure

Comment

Not Illinois material, not even close. Sorry

Comment

I know I'm still a newbie how are you guys calling those fakes I'm not ???ing you all but can someone explain how to tell a fake?

Comment

These are easy to spot once you have seen enough of them. The shape is a a dead give away for me as is the material in most cases.
                  It looks like they have knapped a tear drop and chipped a couple of quick notches in them. They just stick out like a sore thumb.
                  Thanks Bob

Comment

panaggie wrote:

These are easy to spot once you have seen enough of them. The shape is a a dead give away for me as is the material in most cases.
                    It looks like they have knapped a tear drop and chipped a couple of quick notches in them. They just stick out like a sore thumb.
                    Thanks Bob
                      Yep. The top row in particular are classic exotic agates that they use in India. See any patina on those? Thought not. See any logical flaking? looks like some fresh crushing around the hinges. Looks like circular holes made with a modern metal drill and then broken though to create the notches. All the Indian points seem to have that rounded base. Mostly they seem to be made from machine cut slabs in standard sizes.
                    The smaller ones might also be Indian but they look more like Mexican-made gift-shop points. Very little effort has gone into those as primary flaking and the secondary flaking is pathetic.
                    In general, the lithics are odd. Patination is almost non existent. No sign of any chipping damage post-production and resultant differentiation of patina. The forms are not known or recognisable types, so in that sense they're not really fakes or copies... they're just someone's modern but imaginary idea of what an arrowhead ought to look like.
                    Apart from that... they look good from where I'm sitting.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

ajbhawkowl wrote:

I know I'm still a newbie how are you guys calling those fakes I'm not ???ing you all but can someone explain how to tell a fake?
                        Sometimes it just takes a little experience to tell. I agree these are all modern reproductions, not an Illinois piece in the bunch.
                      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                      X