Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Identifying my Grandad(39)s arrowheads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identifying my Grandad(39)s arrowheads.

I have my Grandfather's arrowhead board and he collected these many many years ago around in Wayne County, Kentucky which borders on the Tennessee state line.  They lived in the area known as the Daniel Boone National Forest and also in the Parmleysville, Ky area.  I don't know if that will help.  Lots of them, I believe, were found under rock cliffs that run along the Little South Fork River to the Big South Fork RIver.  I have taken the pictures of his board in sections so that it can be easier to identify.  Any help would be appreciated as I'm just starting out!  Thanks!  God bless!  Sammie

Here is section 2

Comment

Section 3

Comment

Section 4

Comment

And Section 5

Comment

Sammie, I don' t know how I missed this post!  What a great collection from your grandfather. That is something to really cherish. I am sure he spent may hours acquiring them !  I am not from you area and will not be much help in identifying them. I can give you some general information.
            Lets take the section 4 picture: the large object lower left is a nice knife/scraper beautiful "bullseye" in the material
            Just to the right and a bit lower is the base of a drill (the thin on)
            The second item above the knife, with the point is a drill/perforator(kinda hard to find) in great condition
            The rest of your points I am sorry I can't help identify !
            Someone from your area may be able to help!you have some great pieces and a family treasure !

Comment

Hi Sammie I was the guy who sent you the note on Arrowheads.com fan pages. I am sure someone will be along to give you some help with these.
              Here is some information for you

Number 1. is a Fox Valley type Bifurcate point
              2 point that is reworked to a drill
              4 is a Large Bifacially flakes knife.
              5 Looks like a scraper
              9 woodland triangle
              13 Bakers Creek
              The one not numbered between 5 and 11 is called a blunt point these were points that were reworked into hafted scrapers
              Maybe some one else has more info I will try and find time to number your other pics to try and help you out. If you can do it or know someone who can it would make it easier on the folks here who know points from your region. I just flipped out my  Overstreets and looked up what I was not sure of the rest I had a good feeling about and there is still a couple here I am not sure of.
              number five could be a number of types from your area. I am leaning toward little bear creek. But the Kays , The Smithsonia and the Buck creek are all similar to that in form.
              Getting types on these is not just a off the cuff call a lot of time a knowledgeable person will need to see them in hand to make the best call.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow, I don't know how I missed this either and I apologize! Your Grandfather has left you with a nice collection. I think Hoss and Butch have pointed (pun intended) you in the right direction.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Man I'm just right down the road from Daniel Boone.  Have camped in Great Meadows quite a bit if you know where that is.  I live in Fentress.  Nice collection and if you have any questions about anything just pm me.

Comment

I certainly thank you very much for your help.  My Grandad has been dead for quite a few years, I never got to meet him and having these draws me a little closer to him for some reason.

Comment

I do know where the Meadow is, I drive by it on a regular basis as my other Grandpa who is 88 was from that area as a little boy.  His family is the Dolens, the Dolen School house out there was named after his Grandpa's family.  Thanks to all of you for helping me with these.  I have no idea about these and was so interested to learn more.  Thank you!

Comment

Very nice thanks for the great show

Comment

Working...
                        X