Storage unit items found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage unit items found

Any ideas on value of these items? Found them in a storage unit I won at an auction. I have a lot more items. The white pipe has etched on the bottom "winterstone ojibwa"

Might as well show the pics of the rest for better eval.  The only two items worth squat in the first pic IMHOP might be the left upper triangular whitish tool (looks like an axe) and the bottom right broken butt lithic.  The top left is a hippy pipe, top right unfinished same. Peace pipe made of real catlinite but new and fantasmagorical.  I don't know what that top right piece is....melted glass???  Show the rest, could be some real goodies hidden in with garbage, LOL  If you don't know, something you might think is insignificant is a treasure.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Tom has nailed it on his assessment of your items. The one he is calling an axe and the bottom right piece are the only things I see that are Native American. Lets see the rest.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I know that the woman was Indian and her ancestors were Ojibway origin

. She taught Indian culture and Medicine in a college near me. Most of the stuff came from her family. The black "melted glass" is another pipe.

Comment

That's some wild stuff!!!Whats the residue in the bowl?

Comment

lol  not sure but they have all been used a lot.

Comment

jundtman it's gonna be hard for someone here to place a value on the items as they aren't ancient artifacts.Some of the items might be from the historic era at best.I will say they are some interesting items though.....they were burning some kind of herb in those bowls though!!!  :rolf: Thanks for the pics,interesting and I can see where those items would be found in a medicine man's bag of tricks.

Comment

Second set of photos number 4 and 5 are of an Indie design "India".
                I see maybe Peruvian "Modern" on number six.
                Otherwise it's all Modern and good except perhaps the pipes.
                Tourist items "the pipes" only it does appear that someone
                has utilized them for a provacative past time.
                The "Celt" and the partial point is the only viable items, you received,
                that are ancient in any stretch of the imagination.
                That Brass turtle is most likely India as well.
                The bear fetish tourist stuff.
                Hope you did not pay too much for these items.
                Too much would depend on just what the two afore mentioned
                authentic artifacts are worth.
                The broke point 25 cents. The Celt considerably more.
                Jess B.
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

That's a right old mixture of cultures. As Jessy says, the cushions or covers in pics 4 and 5 are from India (or possibly Sri-Lanka) and the brass turtle is also from India (or possibly Thailand or China.) Often those brass animals were used as weights, but it's modern.
                  The 2nd pic is someone's (severely mistaken) idea of what a Navajo repousse copper box oughta look like.
                  The pair of items in the 8th pic are polynesian dance rattles. Modern tourist items and likely from Hawaii. The bear in the 13th pic is Inuit style and also likely a modern tourist souvenir.
                  The 12th pic - difficult to tell if that's metal or pottery. Looks like chased gilt brass? Bizarrely, that might turn out to be the most valubale item of the group if it has any age to it.
                  The "puzzle-piece" wooden carving in pic 16 is a modern stand for a fruit bowl or something similar. I've seen them carved to hold wine and spirit bottles as well as to hold decorative glass globes.
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Unless you are Native American it is illegal for you to own that feather. There is a Eagle feather repository 

Raptor feather repository http://www.fws.gov/southwest/NAL/feathers.html
                    Last edited by Hoss; 01-27-2018, 02:46 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

i learn something new every day .

Comment

Hoss is absolutely right about the feather! That also includes any other parts of some 450 odd species of bird. Personally, I would delete any pictures that could incriminate. If you think others aren't watching you are wrong!
                        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Ya it's a strange mix of things, but someone was crafty, they just didn't do their research, or maybe they were hitting the resinated pipe a little too much???  Some of the items are cool, I'm a picker, so I have a soft spot for random picks.  Either way, I would be interested in the catlinite pipe, if you'd like to part with it, authentic or not...

Comment

I don’t know if there is any connection to the pipe that’s marked “Winterstone”, but there is an Anishinaabe Ojibwe artist called Turtle Heart (Winterstone) who is a “maker and keeper of sacred pipes”. He runs the Winterstone Gallery in New Mexico where he sells his paintings and sculptures, although he says he doesn’t sell his pipes. More details in the attached pdf
                              Winterstone.pdf
                            The email for the gallery is winterstone@aicap.org if you want to shoot him a line and enquire about the pipe(s).
                            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                            X