Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools From the Past or Just Weathered Stones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools From the Past or Just Weathered Stones?

Hi I am new to this forum and was wondering if some of my rocks are more than just weathered stones.  I find them on the beach where the surf is very strong but there is constant work going on to maintain the sand from being swallowed up by the sea -and- keep the sand from covering the road. Not sure how many photos I can/ should post in 1 thread so I 'll start with a few -and- see . . . I can add more pics of a particular piece if anyone thinks it's worth further examination. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to AH.com :welcome:
    I do not see artifacts, sry JMO.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Sorry, I have to agree with Chase. I cannot see any thing altered by man.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Would like to see more pics of first and third item.

Comment

Well I guess I'll just have to keep looking then! :blush:
          BUT, I need to ask you chase -and- rmartin, are you considering that they could have been altered by the ocean after they were altered by man?  Just for fun, compare sea glass I collected on 2 different beaches~
          top row was collected along the shoreline of the bay where there is no wave action (you cannot surf there lol)
          bottom row collected along the shoreline of the Pacific Ocean where there's a lot of heavy waves . . .

see how the glass on top row is still rough -and- jagged while glass on bottom row is round -and- smooth?
          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
          Here's a couple more photos though of the 1st  -and- 3rd:

Comment

:welcome: from RI. To answer your question, very unlikely they were ever worked by man. The water will soften edges, of course. We hunt for arrowheads on southern New England bays. It's possible to find points where the flaking, the signs that the point has been fashioned by man, is all but erased by ages in the water, especially if it's a turbulent environment. We've learned to recognize such points as easily as those not severely weathered by water. However, in this instance, I agree with chase and Ray that those rocks are natural. You might ask around your area if there are any good beaches for arrowhead hunting. When hunting for points on a beach, you want to walk along lines of rocks that have been sorted by the tide and are the size of your average point. Rocks on a beach, as you probably know, get sorted by size, so rocks in the 1-3 inch range in size would be a good sorted size range to walk.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you all for your replies!
              This is a photo from westernartifacts.com that resembles the thng I found with the text copied -and- pasted below it.

Here is another form of palm protector for use with a fire starting pump drill. This one was found in a cave, approximately 90km north of Thessalon, Ontario, Canada. The depth of the cave was about 11 meters, and this one was found on the floor of the cave, 9 meters back from the cave's mouth in the early 1970's by Daniel Keiser, who kindly gave his permission to use both the photos and site information.

Comment

Thank you CMD! There's a couple places in my area where creeks feed into the ocean, Do you think that would be a good place to look too?

Comment

Thank you for the kind welcome -and- for your response ¯//(°‿°)\/¯

Comment

Hmmm. . . I know this is old but CoachG didnt see the additional pics I posted.  It's ok if they are just weathered stones. . .  You gotta start somewhere right? lol! :silly:

Comment

Working...
                    X