Typology pages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typology pages...

So, I saw there was a new Jack's Reef Pentagonal page created in the typology section. I got excited and took a photo of my one and only jack's reef pentagonal (a rather pitiful point made on a flake) to post only to notice I (or maybe all members except moderators) can't post there. I would imagine it's for accuracy and housekeeping, but I think members should be able to post their points on the typologies pages to build a photo database of sorts that can ultimately be a great resource on the internet. I would think this was suggested before but I couldn't find anything. So what's the deal? I think if someone posts a point that doesn't jive with the type, a moderator could just respectfully move or remove the post.

Think about every person who becomes a member here being able to post what they think is a Jack's Reef Pentagonal or any other point along with unlimited comments. Chaos and a load of misinformation. The area is restricted to only a few. If you would like to have a point or other info posted into the info section post it here or send me a pm, We'll get it in. Personally I feel the finds of the members should be showcased before other photos.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Opening the info section up for any member who joins would do as Greg stated, create chaos and only add more workload on others who would be charged with keeping those sections tidy and free of mis-information as well as questionable examples. We always encourage folks to share there finds on the open forum and moderators can use there own discretion as to were something is needed and what is an appropriate addition to that section. If you have something that you believe fills a void in one of those sections post good photographs with size references on the open forum here...

Want to help improve our reference section? Post your informative contributions here for consideration. Unsuitable or duplicated content may be moved without notice.

Before posting its a good idea to read and understand this thread and also understand that your finds may or may not be deemed needed or appropriate.

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I find it serves a very useful purpose, in particular when you're looking for a specific point to compare with. Usually I'm not sure what I have until I compare it to a known point and Overstreet doesn't always have a good selection for comparison. I also understand the restriction about posting for the one reason I just listed - someone may THINK they know what they have and we start getting a polluted data base and there are plenty of those on the internet already.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

When we started the information center it was discussed that we have the forum and we are building an information center that was correct and informative and factual.
          there would be a just a few that would put that information in there this way we don't exaggerated what is factual
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Please don't get me wrong I am all for information and the forum has given me a great amount of knowledge. but the information center is a place where we can research. A great resource for all of us.
            a lot of thought went in to this.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Just with Jack's Reef points alone, I can see a very common mistake made. Because it's made more times then I can shake the proverbial stick at. People speak of Jack's Reef Pentagonal and then they post a photo of a Jack's Reef Corner Notch. When in fact they are different types. The Jack's Reef Pentagonal are often seen as the Un-Notched version of a Jack's Reef Corner Notch, though they were also made and used as is. But, because JR Corner Notch often display a pentagonal blade form, many collectors mistakenly refer to a JR Corner Notch as a JR Pentagonal. Not saying you're making that mistake, because I have not seen the point in question, just pointing out that I have no doubt that particular mistake would be made. It's simple enough to post a point to the forum and simply request it be added to the typology section.
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                I have seen Jacks Reef Corner Notched points that were not pentagonal.

Yep, I figured that to be the reason, hence my statement "I would imagine it's for accuracy and housekeeping," but I don't think the majority of people here would include incorrect points or information... for the most part at least. And points vary soooo much, that what's the point of having 1 or 2 photos? It's not the best resource if there's only one example when some points of the same family can be dramatically different (fox creek for instance.) Granted a number of the NE pages have multiple points, many have just one example when there could be more. With that said, I totally understand where you're coming from in not wanting a huge mess of incorrect info to deal with!

Comment

Many times members post a point and name it, only to have several different opinions. Send it to Greg and he will post it. Like you said, it's good to have multiple examples of a point. We will all benefit from your point. Thanks for sharing it.
                South Dakota

Comment

To many amateurs like me would be posting in areas I am not knowledgeable enough in .
                  even some of our top people get stumped . They do have a process where your piece can become a part of the data base .

Comment

Working...
                  X