Knapped point/blade of the month.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapped point/blade of the month.

I believe that this would be a spectacular idea: a contest where flint knappers can come and show off their work. It would be structured about the same as Find of the Month, using user votes and entering your subject the following month you knapped it. It would be a great idea for Arrowheads.com contribution, inspire creativity in the flint knapping field, and promote friendly competition. Here are two ideas, on how it would work:

1. Give the knappers a subject. For instance, next July's KOTM contest subject is a desert side notch. Judging would be focused on flaking, design, notching, thinness and color of material used. At the end of the year, the twelve top knappers who won the previous contests will be put into a "knapper of the year contest" to win a new set of pressure flakers, billets etc.

2. Idea two, will be a random entry style contest. You can enter anything you want, as long as you made it for the month selected. Voting will be done by the people, preferably by using the same guidelines as above. The same knapper of the year contest will happen as I mentioned above.

All of this is just a suggestion, and we could talk it over if you reply to this topic.

Thank you.
    Ethan.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Have you seen some of the work these guys do Ethan? Friendly competitions are fine and all but I have no desire to try to top anybody heres work on any basis. Plus there's really only just a few knappers, the pool of nominees would be pretty small. I'm doubtful Ethan but I give you props for trying to come up with something new and fun. If others like the idea and want to try and implement it, I would send a "lamb to the slaughter" for giggles, but I don't see this taking off.

However I'm all about another PITH (point in the hat) type event, we're names are chosen and matched with partners to do a blind primitives exchange... That's always fun! Tim has ran a few in the past so he knows more about the specifics than me. Just my thoughts.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Like I said, I am open to discussing this. I definitely see your point. Like I have said before, I am new here, and I am familiarizing myself with the mechanics and people of this forum. We'll see what the others think.

Or we could just some time and make ron kelley "champion for life"......
    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      All hail king ron!

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed!

I agree with Josh. Point in the hat is always fun.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Yeah it’s been awhile since the last one, I’d be down to join in!
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Wayne had a suggestion . He said 15 min .
        be honest and put a timer on it like a survival situation .
        gotta get it made fast .
        Now you men would know the correct time not us .

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that's a stellar idea! Even if it doesn't work on this site, I will have to try that!
      Working...
      X