New category?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New category?

Hi I was wondering if we could start a new category called "Fact or Fake" A place where members can post pictures of items that were purchased and get feed back from more experienced members. Or maybe say "Opinions of members? I myself just got a new Microscope and would love to start posting pictures of questionable points. Just a thought???

This will be interesting not sure where all people want to know. I have seen photos of those modern made points from India posted that were found and you sure get some good arguments why they are real artifacts. There has been so many of those things imported and they show up every where.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

It’s tough! Most good knappers scribe a sign on their reproductions, with a diamond scribe. Unfortunately, others do it for profit. And they are good at it too. There are exceptions, the Grey Ghosts points have become collector items.. As for the answer for it, education, microscope, etc. It would be really tough to to make calls on points from pictures, I myself am not bold enough to call anything bad from a pic. And willjo is right, now even fakes from other countries now getting into the money game...It hurts in every way..... JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

The Artifact question and Answers column is already the area to post things like those questions.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	shitpoint.jpg Views:	2 Size:	6.1 KB ID:	361862 Click image for larger version  Name:	BadPointCOA.jpg Views:	2 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	361863
          Attached Files
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

tomclark - you made me laugh AND feel better at the same time. I have a few fakes I merrily purchased at a recent estate sale. Can you use both egg-on-face AND crow meat in the same dish?
            Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

• tomclark
              tomclark commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, thanks. In the early 90s I was digging points a lot and there were some of the last local good 'ol boy shows every year. There was this most coveted local Florida show in St. Leo and there was this guy with a table that had a cigar box full of mostly funky Pinellas points...all for like 10 bucks each...maybe 5! We do not get many triangle points down here, mostly Archaic stuff.... So of course I picked the nicest coral one I could find..... Years later I was getting rid of most non personal finds and tried to sell that one on ebay.... Came back with respected Carlos Tatum shoot-down COA and some apparent His-Story! I was not given any provenance whatsoever when I bought it so it had been around. Dayum. Was quite a lesson. Refunded auction and COA and paid postage....got about 80 bucks wrapped up in that fake. The rest of the stuff I sold back then was a steal for the buyers and I was happy to sell them. I regret selling a few tools that I should have kept!
          Working...
          X