what made us start collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what made us start collecting

:welcome: hi everyone, i had a good idea for a topic , what inspired us to start lookin. i'll start , my mothers greatgrandfather was a avid collector , thats what hes remembered for the most in the family, he actually has 2 collections in the heffenreffer ( i spell"d it wrong) museum here in r.i. ( harrie h wheeler collection) well about 2 summers ago i was up to my waist in a river diggin in the gravel lookin for clay pipes and marbles and stuff and i ended up findin a perfect quartzite levanna. i was hooked ever since and now there about all i look for, i just end up findin pipes and marbles now. :laugh:
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

some of my friends and one of my brothers are avid rock hunters and I always was amazed at their finds.  They always tried to get me to go rock hunting but I wouldnt go stating I already had too many hobbies.  One winter day one of my horse riding buddies that rock hunted wanted to go hiking and do some river walking. We walked most of the day and then went walking on the river, the beginning of the rock hunting dissorder! I watched my friend pick up a nice stemmed blunt and super big sandy point. It wasnt long before I found a big blade with a broke tip and then BOOM there it was a killer pickwick. It hit its mark thousands of years after it was made, deep in my heart. The first hobby I dropped was grooming the yard all the time, havent missed it yet!

Comment

Ha, grooming the yard! Yep that seems to get put off quite often when the opportunity arises to hunt points! Have always had an interest, but there were distractions. Me, didn't get started till six or seven years ago. In my youth I was chasing other interesting items, then marriage, then kids and of course woorrrkkkk.....Once the kids were out of the house, I took to the fields!Love finding them, no matter how raggedy. That point represents a tie to the past you can hold in your hands, now how cool is that?!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I had always had a keen interest in Archaeology and as a youngster read about everything I could get my hands on. It wasn't until many years later while visiting some friends in Louisville that the bug bit. The guy had an amazing collection and was kind enough to take me hunting. I found my first arrowhead and although it was broken, the quest was on. That was 30 years ago and the passion has never waned. Every vacation and trip I try to visit a museum or site. To me, it is much more than picking up pointy rocks, knowledge of the people that lived here before of us is just as important.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Grew up in a family of collectors.
          First point I can't even remember.
          First fossil same thing just can't remember.
          Mother would carry my little brother and I would tag along
          either behind one of two big brothers, mother, dad, or two big sisters.
          Six kids all of us dug and got dirt under our fingernails.
          Jess B.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Lived next to an old Clovis Man's Hunting Grounds and possibly ocd.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

great stories everone, keep em' comin
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

My story is pretty simple. It all started back in 1967, I found my first point(well really just a tip) I still have it,and it is my favorite find. It got me started on this crazy obsession. I have a modest collection, but it is what I have found over the years. It for what ever reason has driven me to go out and find these pointy rocks. I think about it daily! (go figure)I have logged many miles in the pursuit and the quest, just makes me go out with the love of coming up with treasures. I have been amazed on what is out there! And always think WOW its still out there. That is what drives me to think what will I find next. Anyway I just might be crazy., but I love it, and i am not going to stop anytime soon. :lol:  So on this site I get jealous of all your finds, but revel in the fact you all are out doing it.
                Thanks! keep it coming, I always look forward to seen whats new!
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Great posts.  THE LAWN, HA! What weeds?
                  3 1/2 years ago my neighbor started giving me samples of pottery and points after a few adult beverages.  He's been collecting (buying) and hunting for 15 years.  I filled up a shoe box before I finally decided to start hunting myself.  My first finds were pottery shards and then a couple scrapers and then after a big rain, two points.  I didn't put them down for hours. 
                  I bought a used kayak a few months later and that opened up the world to me. THANKS BILLY (neighbor)
                  ES
                  New Jersey

Comment

Very simple- while walking the dogs in the wetlands behind my house I noticed this unusually shaped rock in the creek. I posted the pic on this forum and you all told me it was a rock! Undeterred, I went back and found a point in the same creek and then 5 in an adjacent creek. I havn't found much compared to the shoeboxes and frames I see here but when I do find one it is an amazing thrill. Makes me feel like a kid again. No turning back now.

Comment

Working...
                    X