No announcement yet.

Pictures that do not belong on the thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hudson, do you mean the rock someone posted bottom of page? Otherwise, I see the correct two photos you posted, one in-situ, one in hand.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Hoss I understand and by the way the first pic in Ray's post is mine.lol 1 comment

• #15.1

Hoss commented
        Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Hudson that is not what we meant by wrong pictures. We are seeing pictures in threads that were written prior to August 2015 If you click this one here from Ray you will see it is about the dog. Those extra pictures just ended up in there. http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/o...-oneofakindThe broke artifacts and the pendant do not belong only the picture of the pup with the lamp shade belongs

east Tx.

Comment

I just logged in after a couple of years and noticed other people's pictures in some of my posts. I'm also missing pictures from my spherical game piece post. Please assist me, thank you.

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/general-discussion-gc5/what-did-i-find-gc11/102494-burnt-rock-midden

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/general-discussion-gc5/what-did-i-find-gc11/102492-spherical-game-piece

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/general-discussion-gc5/show-and-tell-–-your-site-finds-and-in-situs-gc8/106394-bulverde-point

Comment

Hi INV83 and welcome back!

As you may have noticed, the forum has been upgraded to a new piece of software, which necessitated all of the existing data to be migrated from one platform to another. The problem you have noted is randomly spread across the forum and has largely resulted from the coincidental use of the same file names for pictures by different posters in different places. The new software has not properly recognised the duplication of file names. The developers are aware of the issue and have been working on a universal solution, but we are still waiting for an answer on whether that can be achieved. In the meantime, the advice is not to apply individual corrections to these errors since that may result in pictures being lost altogether.

Thanks for providing links to places where the errors exist... it helps the developers in tracing the problem... but for the time being we just have to be patient.
          Last edited by painshill; 11-16-2015, 10:35 AM.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• INV83
            INV83 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Painshill, I appreciate the info.

All threads referenced in the above posts have been corrected/verified as having the correct pictures.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I was browsing through the show and tell section of the forum. I was looking for older posts that have artifacts found in my neck of the woods. Seems that very few members hail from this area, Montana. I was looking at Rock queens old posts and was disappointed that nearly everyone of them has the wrong pics in the posts....unless she finds lost lake points and hands like Andre' the giant....
            Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              You are right we do not have many members posting from your area. I am grateful for every picture you post. The lithics are beautiful from your area.

Some of her posts are pictures of points taken in a man's hands. Her significant other ( I cannot remember if Eugenia is married) usually hunts with her and holds artifacts while she photographs them.

Last edited by Hoss; 07-18-2016, 02:42 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Cskelton
              Cskelton commented
              Editing a comment
              Hoss,
              Partially just trying to be funny with the " man's hands" comment. The link to the post you referenced was her last post. It was that one that got me looking into her older posts. Seemed like any older than a year had the wrong pics. I remember one had a caption describing ovoid blades but the pictures were of banner stones??? Also a lost lake point that had tip damage???

As most long-standing members will know, the forum suffered from a considerable amount of picture errors (either pictures that don’t belong, or pictures which are missing, or both) when the developers migrated the data from our old software platform to the one we are using today.

I have been busy correcting those errors on a section-by-section basis and/or by targeting posts made by specific members where the error rate is high (some members suffered more than others). To date, I have verified or corrected approximately 24% of the forum content as it existed before migration and corrected several thousand picture errors! There are some instances where the correct picture is not recoverable and I have made a note in the thread where this is the case. Also, I cannot restore pictures which have gone AWOL as a result of the original poster breaking a link to Photobucket or other external image sources. Those will show in the post as “not found”.

I will take all posts by Rock Queen as my next task and report here when it is done, but it will take a while because I have to check each thread in which she has participated whether she started the thread or not. And it’s a completely manual process requiring me to download the correct pictures from the archive copy of the old forum and then re-upload them into the new one. I estimate it will take a small number of days (long ones).

Rock Queen made 694 posts before the data from the old forum was migrated across to the new forum and I have already verified the pictures in approximately 15% of those posts… replacing them with the correct pictures where necessary (and if available). If you see a small blue document icon alongside the title of a thread in the forum list (it also appears alongside the title in the first post of the thread), then it means I have already verified or corrected all images in that thread… whether posted by Rock Queen or not. Any of her posts which have been moved into the Information Centre also definitely have the correct images.

Hope that helps. Any questions, then please post them here.

Comment

• Cskelton
              Cskelton commented
              Editing a comment
              Painshill,

It wasn't my intention to create a massive amount of work for you. I'm not a computer guy...I had no idea what it entails. DO NOT BOTHER yourself with it, it's not worth it...

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              I think it is worth it. I hate for folks to consult the forum and get misled because the wrong picture is displaying. Sometimes it's really obvious, and sometimes folks (like yourself) are experienced enough to realise something's not right....... but novices could really be led up the garden path.

Trust me... you're not creating extra work. You're only pointing me in a direction which causes me to adjust the ordering priority in which I'm making corrections. That actually helps me focus my efforts where there are the most errors.... so THANK YOU!

Thank you Roger for all that you do!
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

All threads which contained a post by Rock Queen made prior to the migration have now been verified and corrected where necessary (if the original images are available in the archive copy of the old forum). I have corrected almost 600 picture error across those threads (whether on Rock Queen's posts or those made by other forum members), so the error rate was rather higher than seen in other sections of the forum.

There were about a dozen missing threads, which I will re-create in due course.

Comment

Speaking of that I've been looking for a old thread were people shared there Kirks? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought there was a thread labeled something like "let's see those Kirk's" or something to that effect. Does anyone also recall this thread?
                Anyway s while searching for that thread I found this old thread with incorrect pictures...

Found this about 20 mins ago beside the house in a new spot across the road from one of my very first fields. Took less than 20 minutes. http://forums.arrowheads.co
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
                  Speaking of that I've been looking for a old thread were people shared there Kirks? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought there was a thread labeled something like "let's see those Kirk's" or something to that effect. Does anyone also recall this thread?
                  Anyway s while searching for that thread I found this old thread with incorrect pictures...

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...t-perfect-kirk
                  OK... that thread is now corrected.

There was a thread titled "Kirks Anyone?" in the "Best of the Best" section of the forum which may be the one you are thinking of. It didn't migrate across from the old forum and so is missing. I'll recreate it tomorrow and flag the link here when I have done so.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                    Kyflintguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks so much Roger! Really appreciate all your hard work and dedication to correcting these issues!

The "Kirks anyone?" thread is now restored here:

Comment

Working...
                  X