Recent Posts page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Posts page

Some folks like to see all the latests posts in order, so they know what's been said since they were last here. I know on the old forum, I used to bookmark the. "Recent posts" page for that reason. To get that page on the new forum, you must be logged out. Then you will see. "Today's Posts" in the top left corner of the page. Click on that and there are all the most recent posts, in order most recent first, and showing who has posted the most recent reply. So, the "Today's Posts" page is the same as the "recent posts " page on the older version. But you have to be logged out to see "Today's Posts".
    Rhode Island

Charlie I think that you are referring to the orange banner with these headings.
    It is the one entitled NEW TOPICS that you want to click on to see whats new in the forum.

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
      Charlie I think that you are referring to the orange banner with these headings.It is the one entitled NEW TOPICS that you want to click on to see whats new in the forum.
      Lol, now don't go confusing the issue, Bruce. No, the page that duplicates the "recent post" page from the old forum is "Today's Posts", which is only visible when you are logged out. It shows the new comments and who made them in order, most recent at top. The New Topics page does not do that, Bruce. Yes, it shows new topics, but does not show them in true order. There are actually 3 areas you can see what's going on "lately". Two while logged in. But the one labeled "Today's Posts", top left when logged out, is the true "recent posts" page. New Topics does not do it, my friend.....

Bruce, log off. Then you will see New Topics will change to Today's Posts. Look at that page. Look at the right hand column. I'm sure you will see exactly what I mean. The New Topic page is simply not the same as an actual "recent posts page" with the comments in order, time posted showed, and who made the most recent comment to a thread.....

Look at the time posted in "New Topics". The times are not in the true order, most recent at top, etc. only the Today's Posts page actually duplicates the page called "recent posts" on the old forum. Today's Posts let's you see the recent posts and commentators in exact order posted, most recent at top.

This is the reason I said "too many pages mimic a recent post page". You've got the New Topics header, and you've got the running column over on the right hand side of the home page. But, trust me, only the Today's Posts page is the same as the recent page from the old forum. So, as Josh from Ky. mentioned where we discussed this in the "it would be nice...." thread, he bookmarks the Today's Posts page, sees what the 10 most recent comments are, and logs in from there. I also used to just bookmark the recent posts page on the old forum for the very same reason. Josh from Missouri really missed that page, as he described in the " it would be nice...." thread, and so I found that section of the forum for him.

I think Today's Post Page should be visible when logged in. I mean, why isn't it? It's the only truly accurate recent post page.

Bruce, I just noticed that you posted to the thread by Josh that I am referring to. It is confusing, but I did finally figure it out, as both Josh's stated in that thread......
      Last edited by CMD; 08-20-2015, 07:02 AM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

I agree Charlie; That is a feature that should be visible when logged in. It seems very strange that we have to logout to use anything on the forum.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Now I see what you were trying to point out Charlie. And why on earth would any member actually want to look at the forum while logged out is beyond me.
          They would be unable to reply/comment on something that they see while logged out, that is if I am not mistaken?
          One thing that I would like to see though Charlie is, when looking at either of those views, is some sort of identifier as to what section of the forum the post has been made in.
          Many times I have seen a post in the New Topics and when I try to go back and make a comment the only way is to search through the entire forum. If there has been another post in the same section that becomes difficult as it is no longer the last one showing.
          Bruce

Comment

Yeah, I agree, Bruce. About showing the category. If I remember correctly, they were shown in the old forum's "recent" page. Which was visible both logged out and in.
            I told Josh the real recent page was top left, before realizing it changed to "New Topics" in that location once logged in. I did a double take when I realized it no longer said "Today's Posts", and then I realized why he and I kept crossing wires. He said it did not show him as most recent post, I said yes it did. Lol. I had been looking in the top left header while logged out. Hadn't even read the title of the header, just knew top left, lol.

It makes no sense not to leave "Today's Posts" exactly where it is once logged in. Frequent users probably prefer logging in from such a page. That's the page I always bookmarked in the previous version.

Well, at least we found the page corresponding to what many were accustomed to in the earlier forum. I don't know if our suggestions will be acted on, but it would help. It's still useful now, but needs to be permanent.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Something else not sure if you all mentioned it, since when we reply to a topic it kind of vanishes from new topics while logged in, we can go to top right of page that shows our username/icon,click arrow and go to my recent posts if wanting to check and then we don't have to log out if wanting to see any replies.
              Last edited by JoshinMO; 08-20-2015, 09:47 PM.
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
                Something else not sure if you all mentioned it, since when we reply to a topic it kind of vanishes from new topics while logged in, we can go to top right of page that shows our username/icon,click arrow and go to my recent posts if wanting to check and then we don't have to log out if wanting to see any replies.
                Well, yes, you can always see your own comments in order by clicking on "my recent posts". That isn't going to show you the recent comments of other members.
                So not sure what you mean. If you want to see recent replies in order, that's the "Today's Post" page when logged out. If you want to keep track of your own recent replies, yes, you can click on "my recent posts".
                Rhode Island

Comment

I mean my or your (whoevers/our own) topics vanish while logged in. If recent topics, they are recent topics and if we click on my posts they become visible. Best I can explain.

Comment

Or new topics, whatever they are called now.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
                      I mean my or your (whoevers/our own) topics vanish while logged in. If recent topics, they are recent topics and if we click on my posts they become visible. Best I can explain.
                      Lol, yes, we can keep track of our own recent postings. And yes, we can keep track of all recent postings. In two different areas of the forum, the latter only when we are logged out.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Is kind of a hoot, . Maybe i meant todays posts.

Comment

What the heck happened to the New Topics ???
                          Bruce

Comment

I see "New Topics" in top left of each page alright. Looks OK when I click on it.
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Try logging out and then back in.
                              Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X