Mark Read Button Gone!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Read Button Gone!!!

The mark read button worked just fine and is a very useful tool. Why is it gone?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

I really liked that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
      The mark read button worked just fine and is a very useful tool. Why is it gone?
      I noticed it gone also. I use it sometimes a lot. Looks like new post option is gone also
      Last edited by rmartin; 09-10-2015, 09:19 AM.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Do you mean "gone" in the sense that it was available in Kunena but not now in vBulletin or "gone" in the sense that it was originally available in vBulletin but has subsequently disappeared?

I don't think that option was ever available in vBulletin. You can mark an entire forum category (a "channel") as read, but not an individual post. The vBulletin support forum sometimes has add-ons for the software provided as downloads. These are a mixture of unofficial "try at your own risk" and "supported" refinements to vBulletin provided by users rather than the software developers. Some of the "supported" ones gain "approved" status from the original software developers. There is an unsupported add-on which provides the "mark post as read" option but it only works in vBulletin 4 (we're on version 5).

vBulletin is not a "progression" from Kunena. They're completely different pieces of software written by different people, so it's pointless and irrelevant comparing their relative features and identifying something as "gone".

The vBulletin choices to control how threads and forums are marked as read are:
        1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option, which I previously set to 12 hours) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.
        2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
        3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as the previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

The forum is currently set to option 3
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Sorry Roger. To be more clear the Mark Channels read tab is gone. This seemed to work only on the main forum page.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

This is what my screen looks like on the "I need help with the forum!" page. Yesterday there was a "mark channels read" button that is now gone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Header.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	173081
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

I still see it... as one of the choices in the "document" icon. When viewing any channel with ordinary member rights it's the only option:

Name:	Read1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	173089

When viewing any post within a channel with ordinary member rights it's the first option:

Name:	Read2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	173090

Is this not what you see if you put your mouse over or click on the document icon???
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

LOL Still??? Roger yesterday there was a large tab at the top of the page that is not there today.
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

LOL Still??? Roger yesterday there was a large tab at the top of the page that is not there today.
                  Yes... still, Ron. I never said I wasn't going to help... only that I wasn't going to waste any more of my time trying to keep the forum in some semblance of order or take a leadership role in getting it set up properly.

You presumably mean this tab (which I can still see):

Name:	Read3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	173114

BUT... note the spacing of the black text after the yellow "Forums" tab. There is more of it now than previously (presumably because the developers have recently added in some options that were not there previously). On my screen, the black text runs across the screen in a single line. On your screen, it does not. It's split across two lines. On my screen the orange bar with white text appears as a single line below it. On yours it does not. Your screen is "cramped" and probably losing some of the text as a result.

There are several possible reasons for that. Your screen may be set at a magnification which is too high for the information to display properly. Try reducing it. Your browser may not be properly recognised by the forum, causing it to present information in a way which is incompatible with your computer. Hand that over to Shane (and he will need to know your Windows version, what browser you are using and its version number). If you are using a mobile device rather than a PC then that could also be the problem. The screen size of the device and the browser add-on which controls the display of information may be incompatible with how the forum is currently presenting the information. Again, hand that over to Shane with details of the device and its software.

You also didn't answer the question of whether you can see the "Mark This Channel Read" option via the document icon.
                  Last edited by painshill; 09-10-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Yes Roger, I can still use the function from a different place. I have my zoom set at 125% as it has been. However I see that if I lower it to 90% I can still see the tab in orange that I was talking about. With the small text in this forum lowering my zoom to 90% is not a good option.
                    Michigan Yooper

Comment

Yes Roger, I can still use the function from a different place. I have my zoom set at 125% as it has been. However I see that if I lower it to 90% I can still see the tab in orange that I was talking about. With the small text in this forum lowering my zoom to 90% is not a good option.
                      Ron... I'm using a Lenovo laptop with a 13.5" screen running Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 set at 125% magnification.

That combination gives me no problem and the forum text is easily readable.

If anyone is going to resolve the problem you have then they won't be able to advise unless you provide information about the hardware/software combination you are using... and the problem then needs to be handed over to Shane. Something is not right here. The part that I don't understand is why a standard landscape orientation screen on a PC with a standard set-up (if that is what you are using) would cause the forum to display in that "cramped" style.

Comment

Hey Roger, I see a noticable difference in the font size on this site. For that reason I always set the font size to 14 when I write a post. I'm viewing a 16 inch screen and using Google Chrome and Windows 10. Zoom set at 125%
                        I might try one of my others: Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer.
                        Michigan Yooper

Comment

I am running 8.1 and I can see it . I am on a desk top with 23 inch monitor though. I will get out my laptop and look at this in windows ten Ron mentioned Windows ten so that would be the only difference from what I can tell other than screen size that is.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

For any device to display a webpage correctly, it relies on the website software recognising what platform/browser combination you are using and then presenting the information in a compatible format. Some websites do a better job of this than others, since there are different methods by which the software may achieve this and also because software developers are sometimes lazy in updating their code. Often, the software is looking for particular versions of add-ons or plug-ins on your system and making a "guess" about what you are using. In some cases, if those add-ons or plug-ins are not recognised (because they are too "new", or even sometimes if they are too "old"), the website software may default to an assumption that you're using Windows 8 with Explorer 11... and present the information in an incompatible format.

Incidentally, Windows 10 has abandoned Internet Explorer and now comes with "Edge" as its internet browser. There is already a known issue with vBulletin 5 that you can't paste text into the "New Post" editor if you are using Edge. That will require a patch from the vBulletin guys to fix it (logged as an issue in July).
                            Last edited by painshill; 09-11-2015, 04:36 AM.

Comment

It is not there on my tablet . Have not logged with lap top yet.
                              Last edited by Hoss; 09-11-2015, 01:02 PM.
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X