Photos Posting Sideways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos Posting Sideways

I've noticed, quite a few times, and I imagine others have as well, that oftimes members photos post sideways. Sometimes, a mod will repost the photo right side up. Still, members may be puzzled as to why this happens, and is there a way to correct it? I know my friend JMatt(Jeff) has run into this problem, has asked me how it can be prevented, and I have not a clue. I use my iPad in landscape mode for photos, and never had a problem. I know Jeff, and many others, must be using a cellphone when taking in-situ photos.

I think I may have recently stumbled on the answer. If you scroll down this page to the heading "Are you holding it wrong", it appears that if you take photos in portrait mode with an iPhone, and I'm not sure if it's also the case with other smart phones, then your photos will appear sideways on the forum. So, the easy solution is to hold the phone so you are taking photos in landscape mode:

Shop a wide selection of domains at HugeDomains.com. Find the right domain name today.
    Rhode Island

This almost always happens when someone is posting from their phone Charlie. People need to preview their posts before they submit them.
    If a picture is sideways they need to delete the picture from the post and go back into their phone and reorient the picture so that it uploads correctly.
    It is quite easy to do and this site auto saves what a member has typed into the body of their post/reply so nothing is lost if they simply return to the post.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me know if what I posted to start this thread is in fact untrue, so I can just delete this thread. Thanks....

I don't know, all that may be easier for some then others. I don't own a smart phone at all, so I don't know how hard it is to take a picture holding it horizontally, rather then vertically. I just thought it seemed like that was likely the origin of the problem, so I posted that info. If it's of no use, people can disregard what I posted.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I must always crop a photo before posting. Doesn't matter how much or little I crop off of the original photo, it must be done for my photos to be oriented correctly. When I've fixed other members photos I simply download, crop and upload them back to the post and they appear oriented correct. Odd I know but that's how it works for me.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

My pics always come out sideways on here...I have no problems on other sites and facebook..also i have to downsize pics when I post them on here..I have no problems anywhere else..

Comment

the size caps and photo limitaions per post are in place to help the site load faster. As far as pics loading sideways it seeems we have many who work around it. We have those who do not know how and still others who just dont bother. Both Josh and Bruce just gave two very simple fixes . We just need the folks having issues to do two things. 1.) read the tips given. 2.) be willing to try it.. I use a PC If I take pics with my phone I email them to myself then resave them then post them . Another thing is not every phone is alike.
          Last edited by Hoss; 05-08-2018, 07:39 PM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

tried one of those apps once it did not work for me. Not sure about that one but I kind of like the idea of trying the solutions Josh and Bruce mentioned.
            Last edited by Hoss; 05-08-2018, 07:39 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I have an IPhone and it does turn my pictures sideways to correct this I mostly use Josh's method. If I know I'm going to post a picture I take it landscape as Charlie said. When I have a picture that I took portrait then I crop it. My problem sometimes is when I crop it my size file becomes to big even though I made the picture smaller. I've come to realize that if I just barely move the picture to crop it my size will not be to big. Frustrating part is when six of seven pictures work but one is to big. I've just learned to work around it and that is fine with me.
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post
                I have an IPhone and it does turn my pictures sideways to correct this I mostly use Josh's method. If I know I'm going to post a picture I take it landscape as Charlie said. When I have a picture that I took portrait then I crop it. My problem sometimes is when I crop it my size file becomes to big even though I made the picture smaller. I've come to realize that if I just barely move the picture to crop it my size will not be to big. Frustrating part is when six of seven pictures work but one is to big. I've just learned to work around it and that is fine with me.
                So if taking the photo in landscape mode solves the problem of sideways photos on a forum, I would simply do that for sure. File size problems is something I just don't run into using the iPad for photos, but Jeff was telling me last night that resizing his photos is how he solved the problem.
                Rhode Island

Comment

I find now that if you shoot your pictures holding the phone landscape they will post oriented that way
                  if you hold phone upright the pics will post sideways
                  it is the phone app not the site causing this.

Comment

I always download my iPhone photos onto my laptop before downloading to the forum. That way I can reorientate or chop as needed.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Deb, the pic I sent you yesterday was taken on my iPad, and sent from my iPad, and I don’t know about on your end, but when I viewed it in the pm, it wasn’t sideways...but completely upside down. May be me using my iPad wrong...and I don’t have a computer, so I do appreciate yall’s paience with me.😇
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                        2ndoldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did you notice that the picture was upside down when you saw it in your PM to Deb?
                        If you did this is what you need to do. First delete the picture from the post by hitting remove.
                        Then go into your pictures on the iPad and rotate that picture so that it is looks upside down to you.
                        Then re upload it and try again.

• Jethro355
                        Jethro355 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are the Master, Bruce!👍👍👍
                    Working...
                    X