Andrew: PLEASE explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew: PLEASE explain

Andrew, since you are not on-line now, if this thread vanishes, I'll assume you did not just delete the entire thread, begun by Joe Roy, and titled: "What Happened?" in which several list members, myself, turkeytail, cgode, and Joe Roy were talking about a thread that vanished from the forum this morning.
    Suddenly, at about 8:50PM eastern, the thread we were on also vanished. Since we were talking about that very type event, seems mysterious that it would happen on a thread discussing the event. Joe started a harmless thread and several of us commented, believing some Big Brother wasn't watching!! Do you know this is going on, Andrew. I know Joe wasn't too thrilled, nor was I as it made us think censorship, but censorship of what???????? I know you are not online, so if this thread should next vanish, without any explaination, I will catch you in chat sometime. If someone else is deleting threads, and I can appreciate that yesterdays struck some as too heated, but if now we are no longer free to talk free and no explaination is being offered by whoever is doing this, it's not right. I do hope this thread is left alone!!!!!!
    Charlie
    Rhode Island

As Charlie mentioned, I had participated as well and also am curious as to why they were deleted. The first one became a little heated but the second thread today certainly was not, it was actually fairly vague and kept that way intentionally so as not to attract too much attention. Just confused here, makes one go "hmmmmm"
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Totalitarianism.......What ever happened to freedom of speech??? JEEEZZZZ.....Wish I had a button to delete opinions I dont like! Thing is.....I wouldn't.  :angry:

Comment

It is a little odd. Noticed the posts this morning but didn't get into it having to leave for work. Got home this evening, Gone, what's up?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I missed all this and I am curious too!
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

At the time Joe Roy's thread "What Happened?" was deleted, the following moderators were not online: Andrew, Tom Clark, and painshill. Since Joe's thread was innocent, contained no raging profanities, mentioned no suspects for Monday morning's deletion of the entire "Let's Play a Game" thread, (whose title had been changed to "Game Over"), contained no personal attacks, then if Joe's thread was removed by an online moderator, it smacks of the kind of censorship associated with Putin's Russia and Communist China.
            Joe simply asked what happened to the "Let's play a Game" thread, although the thread title had escaped Joe's memory. Chris(cgode) thought "maybe the aliens took it ". Butch felt the thread had become too heated, even too personal. Tom, who started the game thread, thought it was yanked because he had spoken harshly to those who were critical of his "painted turtle stone." Mark(turkeytail) opined that "If a moderator don't like a comment, poof, it's gone." Joe replied: "Mark, I sure hope that's not the case" :angry: The last comment I made was a statement regretting the fact that when the "Game Over" thread was deleted, my defense of the work done by amateurs in the field of petroglyph studies, which was my last comment in the game thread, vanished as well. I restored that much, because it was important to me, in a new thread "Pennsylvania Petroglyph Studies".
            Andrew, someone, and I don't think it's you or the above named moderators, owes a public apology to Joe Roy and every forum member that posted to Joe's thread. It was a slap to our face, an abridgement of free speech, and a deplorable way to treat members in good standing on the AH.com forum.
              Addendum: with the exeption of Tom (PaArtifactHunter), whom I forgot to notify, every member who commented in Joe's "What Happened?" thread was notified by either chat or PM on Monday evening. The description I have given in this particular comment faithfully resurrects the gist of Joe's thread and the comments left. Should I discover that this comment has vanished, or, worse yet, the entire thread vanishes, sooner or later I will notice that Andrew is online and I will invite him to chat, and if it takes me an hour of typing, I will explain all of this to him in that format. Maybe we need a new catagory called "Occupy AH.com" where members who believe in freedom of speech and freedom of assembly within a thread can congregate without fear of Big Brother.
            Rhode Island

Comment

I have noticed post missing before also. And thought, we need each others emails! There was a certain artifact you all were talking about and I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere! Have you ever tried looking up info on the archaeological website? Its always, will be released to the public......someday!

Comment

I don't believe I was a participant in the posts you are all referring to, but something that bothers me is when a person deletes all of their comments that you have responded to...and your responses are standing in the middle of nowhere as if you were talking to yourself with no reference to what the heck you commented on.  Whatever!!!

Comment

I'm as mystified and disturbed as everyone else!
                  I have the ability to delete threads in the "International" section but I don't think I can do it anywhere else... I've never tried... and certainly didn't interfere here.
                  I wouldn't dream of deleting anything unless profanities were being thrown around, we had a spam attack or the post was an empty duplicate where someone was having trouble uploading pictures.
                  Roger
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

If you want to blame someone, blame me...I requested anything that had to do with the incident over the weekend be moved to the moderation section for me to look at, fully intending to put it back up once I gave it a once over.  As some of you know, I work UPS in the evenings and we got absolutely slammed last night(it was a good thing I didn't reply to this post last night, it may have been bad )and I really didn't feel like going to my office at 12 last night to read them.  I have worked hard to keep this site up and running and to nurture a civil and respectful environment for pros and newbies alike.  Personal attacks against a member is a very serious thing, therefore, I don't want a squabble to end it all...
                    Oh and as for freedom of speech...this is an international forum(Thanks Roger) therefore, American laws do not apply haha
                    I respect each and every one of you, all moderators have my backing, If there is a problem, dont get upset until you know why  it was done.  This site has way too many pieces to keep going than to do anything "off the cuff", therefore I have to process things in a very structured way to keep everything in check.  This is the major reason why all the problems come up

If you have further questions, please send it to my inbox to keep newbies from coming to the site and immediately leaving because these kinda things are at the top of the recent discussion list
                    Andrew

Comment

Professor Shellman
                      Tampa Bay

Comment

That was funny Tom

Comment

Can I still win a book even if I was Bad ?  :blush:

Comment

Everything is copacetic as far as I am concerned...nothing to see here, move along

Comment

Always had a problem with authority, specially when it's in my face, just saying.
                              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                              X