I've been getting an error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been getting an error message

I tried posting a new topic yesterday and I tried once more today. I can't get my topic to post. I have a message that is 265 words or 1423 characters w/ spaces. There is 8 pictures and two links that go along with this topic. I even tried it w/o the pictures and links and I still got the error message. The error said to contact the site administrator. I tried it 4 times yesterday and once today. Not sure if I have done something wrong, b/c I figured I was posting something like I usually do. Is there any way to get around this error?

I am not sure why your getting this message. But I will be happy to help figure it out. Let me know!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hi Brandon
      It will help the admin team to know exactly what error message you are getting. "Internal Server Error" or "404 Not Found" error or something else?
      My experience is that sometimes there's just a blip that goes away for no apparent reason. I also know from past experience that certain combinations of ordinary words in a post can be rejected by the server as protection against hackers. That can happen if those words are part of the syntax used by the forum software (SQL). In one case I found that using the words "se*ect" and "from" (even though they were separated) caused my post to be rejected because the server thought they were unauthorised database commands. On Andrew's advice, I changed the word "se*ect" to "choose" and the post was then accepted.
      [NOTE: I had to put the asterisk in the word 'se*ect' above because spelling it out with the 'L' in the middle actually caused this post to be rejected the first time I submitted]
      I've also had occasional problems with length of posts (something to do with data-packets). The workaround (sometimes) was to post half of my text and then edit the post by adding the second half.
      I also often compose text off-line and then paste it into my post. The server doesn't always like that. If you're composing in MS Word or pasting from another document, try pasting the text into the Windows notepad and then copy and paste from there. That gets rid of any hidden formatting (page breaks and such) which the server seems to object to from time to time.
      If none of that works then Andrew or someone else who knows what they're talking about will pop up I'm sure.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Here's something you could try that would help identify the problem.
        1. Paste the text you are trying to post into Windows Notepad and save it to your hard disc as a simple text file (.txt)
        2. Respond to this post with only the word "test" in your reply, but attach the text file in the same way you would directly upload a picture (not via Photobucket).
        3. Then submit.
        If that gets through then it's probable that the text contains something recognised as illegal syntax. Something you unwittingly typed. There are other ordinary word combinations apart from the ones I mentioned which the server might object to... words like open, function, get, create and so on could be perceived as unauthorised commands in combination with other simple words.
        If your post gets through, I will then copy and paste from the attachment into body-text and try posting it back. That will help identify if the text itself is the problem.
        Good luck
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

you can also shoot me an email at andrew AT arrowheads DOT com
          Ill look it over and see if it has any SQL text in it!

Comment

Working...
          X