Edwards Plateau Quarry Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwards Plateau Quarry Site

I've seen a few posts lately from people in my region that are in the same position that I was a year ago and don't know what it is that they are finding. Other than helpful members on our forum, I really wasn't able to find anything that explained quarry sites on a beginners level, so I thought I would put something together.

Here it is, for your consideration. If you think this would be helpful to anyone, I would be glad to reformat it for the forum. Also, I am very open to constructive criticism if it needs work.

EDIT: Attached is Revision A to include Ron's input.
    EDIT: Rev B - Long Winded Editorial at the end
    EDIT: Rev C - Corrected multiple typos
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CTex; 10-26-2018, 07:06 PM.
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

This is excellent! Very well done, thanks
    If someone doesn’t get to it before me I’ll get it entered into the lithics section Saturday pm.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very interesting an informative information, thanks for posting.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Great job Kevin
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Kevin, You have some good info and I like the pictures. I would like to expand on three terms; hinge, step, and stack. These terms do not refer to the same thing. A simple hinge can easily be knapped through by removing a flake that goes under the hinge. When a flake ends in a step it is necessary to knap into it from a different angle to remove the step. If we try to knap into a step from the same angle the flakes will continue to step at the same spot as the first resulting in a stack of steps.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron, thanks for that clarification. I mistakenly thought that a Stack was a group of hinges, where as it is actually a group of steps. If you can tell from the picture, which of these are which?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	stacks,-hinges-or-steps.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	327863
            Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

Hey Kevin, A hinge can be very thin and is where the end of a flake did not detach from the piece. A step can form with no hinge left on the piece. The big difference is the stack. Let me see if i can find some examples for you to use.

Edit: Most of what i am seeing in your pictures are steps.
              Last edited by Ron Kelley; 10-26-2018, 09:40 AM.
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a big problem with steps. When I am knapping, sometimes a step will appear, and I will jettison the piece because I can't stand looking at it. I knapped a large blade yesterday, (topic coming soon) and it has a small step on it. I kept that one.

Hey Kevin, I see all three on this biface. I have seen stacks of six or more steps on discarded bifaces.

Name:	Step, Hinge, Stack.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	327878
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

• CTex
                CTex commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ron. It has been edited.

This picture shows several small hinges that did not detach from the point:

Name:	hinges.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	327883
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

Hey Kevin, I hope that lots of members will read and study your excellent presentation. This could answer many of the questions that people have.
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

CTex, well done! clearly demonstrates the stages and knapping woes that we see....thank you and all that had input....very nicely done!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

CTex, I must have missed this when it was first posted. Very interesting read. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I often wondered about some pieces I find or I see posted that look like a scraper, but have such a ragged edge. Could be explained by being a blank or discarded artifact. Thanks again, good job.
                    Central Ohio

Comment

That was an excellent presentation, I don't think I have ever learned so much from a single post. I Thank you and everyone that helped you pull that together.

Comment

Fracture, Hinge A recurvate upstep where the distal end of a blade or flake abruptly broke from the parent material. Such a flake scar is indicative of a well executed form of percussion flaking

Fracture, Step A vertical upstep where the distal end of a blade or flake broke from the parent material. Such a flake scar is indicative of a more crude form of percussion flaking
                        Last edited by Broken Arrow; 11-02-2018, 01:45 PM.
                        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Hey Andrew, I wouldn't say that a percussion strike was well executed if it ends in a step. We try to avoid a step at the end of the flake scar. Ideally the percussion flake feathers out leaving neither a step nor a hinge.
                          Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                            Broken Arrow commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry, got the last sentence of each backwards. I'll edit that. If we're talking about broad percussion flaking I agree but in the instance of fluting a step or a hinge was intentional and was the desired result. There are alot of instances of intentional hinge fractures.

• Ron Kelley
                            Ron Kelley commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey Andrew, I had no idea you were talking about fluting.
                        Working...
                        X