• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleos from Connecticut and Rhode Island

Paleos from Connecticut and Rhode Island
    Possible paleo's?
    Posted by [flintmel]:

after conversing with CMD I dug these out. I believe you were referring to the point on the right Charlie, but the one on the left was found in the same area and has definite fluting on both sides!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10829.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	201554

Name:	image_10830.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	201555
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [CMD]:
    One fluted, one with flute-like thinning. I can't type those as anything other then early! Paleo-Late Paleo-Earlymost Archaic. Somewhere in the spectrum. Here is a point my wife found in 2005. Typed by several New England Paleo professionals as a fluted point. Also quartzite. Perhaps we're looking at an untyped early point from our region. The use of regional material, rather then exotic, usually means the transition to the Archaic has begun. Maybe these types are right on the edge, although Clovis hunters did use quartzite on occasion Those are early points, IMHO, Mel, and very nice at that!

Name:	image_10833.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	201558

True color is much different then above photo:

Name:	image_10834.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	201559

Here are 2 more early pieces a friend found in RI. Does the one on the right look familiar?

Name:	image_10773.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	201560

Mel, how big are your 2 points?

Posted by [cgode]:
    Nice pieces and I agree.....they look early for sure to me as well. Paleo in this region is very exciting! I have a base at home that MAY be early....or may not for that matter. I'm still waiting for that day when I can say with some conviction that I have found Paleo......someday, maybe. Until then, the hunt is on! Thanks for sharing those Mel and Charlie....the bar has been set.

Posted by [Hoss]:
    What a striking similarity in those quartzite points. The look very narrow. Thanks for showing them friends.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [CMD ]:
      Mel, reason I asked for size is I'm wondering if there may have been a Late Paleo fluted point style, small in size, and using regional lithics because they were settling in here, rather then the exotics so typical of New England fluted points. Here's another candidate, tiny, made of rhyolite, and found in RI by forum member JMatt. Also, regional wiz Bill Moody of Martha's Vineyard replied "Definetly" Paleo on your 2 points. I think your 2 points are killer; would be centerpieces if I had found them. I'm glad I brought up the subject, you are a lucky man!

Name:	image_10835.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	201561

Posted by [11KBP]:
      CMD wrote:
      Those are early points, IMHO, Mel, and very nice at that!

Nice finds, I agree with CMD, they certainly look early to me.
      The material looks like it would be very difficult to knap.

Posted by [Ajbhawkowl]:
      Nice finds congratz

Posted by [flintmel]:
      CMD wrote:
      One fluted, one with flute-like thinning. I can't type those as anything other then early! Paleo-Late Paleo-Earlymost Archaic. Somewhere in the spectrum. Here is a point my wife found in 2005. Typed by several New England Paleo professionals as a fluted point. Also quartzite. Perhaps we're looking at an untyped early point from our region. The use of regional material, rather then exotic, usually means the transition to the Archaic has begun. Maybe these types are right on the edge, although Clovis hunters did use quartzite on occasion Those are early points, IMHO, Mel, and very nice at that!
      Paleo010.JPG
      Here are 2 more early pieces a friend found in RI. Does the one on the right look familiar?
      FreindsCollection022.JPG
      Mel, how big are your 2 points?

left one 1 1/2", other 2"

Comment

Working...
      X