• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks Reef

Jacks Reef
    Jacks Reef Corner Notched Points

Posted by [Hoss]:
    These are my only two Jacks Reef Corner Notched points I have as personal finds. Charlie and Chris please show us some of yours maybe we can get the point type on a roll with other members too. If you have a Jacks Reef Corner Notch or an Intrusive Mound point to show off lets see it with some detail on the who what when and where? Just county and state no need for site info.
    These two are personal finds from 1987 North Western CT/ Litchfield County CT.
    They are a bit of a mess from Duco cement sorry for the fugly pictures.
    The source of that Yellow Jasper is in Lancaster Co. PA . Jasper was the preferred material for making this type point.
    The other point looks like Normanskill chert to me which sources from Eastern NY State.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10802.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	797.9 KB
ID:	201581

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [G10]:
    Jacks reef , corner notch. one of the tangs were broke ! but oh well, madison county , Arkansas
    sry pics out of focas
    hoss , I seen your thread. and could not post to it , so, hears a new thread.

Name:	image_10803.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	201589
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [farmerwayne]:
      Hoss,not sure if any of these are Jacks Reefs, I can't tell the difference between a reworked tip and the real thing. Found in Jackson county Arkansas.

Name:	image_10804.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	920.6 KB
ID:	201590

Comment

Posted by [CMD]:
        Everette and farmerwayne, nice stuff! I wrote to Hoss too, but I think Everett has the right idea starting the thread here, and Hoss can repost his photos here. Not all collectors realize there are Jack's Reef Corner-Notch AND Jack's Reef Pentagonal.
        Some interpret the Pentagonal as simply being an un-notched form. At any rate, first 2 pics are Jack's Reef Pentagonals, first one with a damaged lower edge, and 2nd one just a flake point retouched. Pennsylvania jasper, Kent Co., RI. All points are personal finds.

Name:	image_10805.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	201591

Name:	image_10806.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	201592

First one here might be a JR Pentagonal, but with an ear, I'm not so sure. The others are JR Corner-Notch.
        Kent Co., RI Pennsylvania Jasper.

Name:	image_10807.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	201593

Don't know material on this one. Jasper?? Speckles make me think beach polished hornfels but never seen that before.

Name:	image_10808.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	201594

My biggest at 2 3/4", and with a basal notch. Sandbar in Narragansett Bay. Hornfels.

Name:	image_10809.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	201595

Two more JR Corner-Notch made of hornfels. I like the style of the one on the left. Rather then a pentagonal blade form, I call these the "ace of spades" style.

Name:	image_10810.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	201596

Here's A JR Corner-Notch with snapped base and scraper tip.

All personal finds from around the margins of Narragansett Bay, RI.

Name:	image_10811.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	201597

One more because it's a good example of a JR Pentagonal. Corner notch it and you've got a JR Corner-Notch. Listed as a point type on its' own in New England. Water worn hornfels.

Name:	image_10812.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	201598

Comment

Posted by [Hoss]:
          Thanks for contacting me Charlie and Everette thanks for starting the new thread. You guys did a good job. I got a little tied up with chores around the house yesterday and never logged back in after dinner.
          Well we are off to a good start with these examples. Tough break on the missing ear G10 that is like a Van Gough Jacks Reef Charlie I am speechless all that jasper is awesome. farmerwayne the two closest to the penny fit the bill thanks for the pictures guys. Nice examples all around.

Posted by [cgode]:
          Nice pics guys, this is one of my favorite types and they used such cool lithics for these! Here's my contribution.......All from the same beach!

Name:	image_10813.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	201599

Comment

Posted by [CMD]:
            From Alabama. Seems very south for the type, so I checked a distribution map and it covered far northern Alabama.
            Not familiar with material, but wouldn't be surprised if it were jasper.

Name:	image_10814.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	201600

Posted by [twoshovel]:
            great post thanks everyone,,ts

Comment

Posted by [RyanVa]:
              Nice examples guys. Jacks Reef are one of my favorite types. A few personal finds form western Va. and southeast Wv.

Name:	image_10815.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	201601

Name:	image_10816.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	201602

Name:	image_10817.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	201603

Name:	image_10818.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	201604

And a few from Ky. and the last is oolitic chert from southeast Pa.

Name:	image_10819.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	201605

Name:	image_10820.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	201606

Name:	image_10821.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	201607

Name:	image_10822.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	201608

Comment

Posted by [CMD]:
                An old post, but a friend brought over 2 examples today, one of which I thought was killer, the one on the right. Both made of hornfels, one of our volcanic rocks, and found on a beach in RI. One on the left has an angle change in the left edge very similar to many of those shown by Ryan. And Ryan, thanks again for identifying the material of one of my examples as oolitic chert, I probably would never have found out!

Name:	image_10823.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	201609

Comment

Working...
                X