• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Lo

Hi-Lo

Personal find and photo by Turkeytail.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Named after the type site the HiLo gun club in Ionia county Michigan. Late paleo-early archaic dart point that is generally lancolate form. All exhibit basal thinning with some being fluted. Most all will have lateral grinding. Three different sub-types.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0690 [replaced].jpg
Views:	462
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	196429

Comment

The Hi-Lo Point
      Patrick L. Mooney, Peru, Indiana
      Originally published in the Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol.57, No.2, pg.70

The Hi-Lo Point is a late Paleo Early Archaic style common to the Great Lakes area. It was named by James Fitting from points found at the Hi-Lo Gun Club Site in Ionia County, Michigan.

The point is lanceolate in form with a base that may be either thinned for even fluted. Specific radio-carbon dates have not been established, but they seem to correlate with the Dalton horizon of 8500-8000 BC. Perino suggests the point was still being manufactured as late as 6000 BC, but this date has not received much support from other authors.

Three forms of Hi-Lo points are recognized, each having heavy basal and lateral grinding. The first has parallel sides, the second triangular in shape and the third has a constricted stem and slight shoulders.

Varying degrees of re-sharpening leaves some variations to display left-hand beveling, but re-sharpening without beveling also occurs. Some variations appear to be side-notched, to have slight shoulders or have weak stems. Re-sharpening may remove these characteristics. The high degree of beveling and heavy re-sharpening suggests these were used as knives and butchering tools rather than projectile points.

They may be related to the Dalton Point, as it possesses many of the same characteristics and is from the same time period. Aqua-Plano and LeRoy points are considered to be Hi-Lo points. All of these points were probably used in caribou and elk hunting.

The ten Hi-Lo points pictured were found in either Miami or Cass County, Indiana. They range in size from 1 3/8 to 2 1/16 inch. The point 2nd from the right on the bottom row is a personal find of the author. It is fluted on the reverse side nearly two-thirds the length of the point. Center-top and bottom far-right would be considered pristine examples of this point type. The point on the top row, 2nd from right would be considered nearly exhausted due to extensive re-sharpening.

Used by permission of the publisher
      To learn more about or to join the Central States Archaeological Society, click here: http://www.csasi.org/
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Link to the Welke-Tonkonoh site , London, Ontario.
        Western University, in vibrant London, Ontario, delivers an academic and student experience second to none.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Tuscola county Michigan, Found by George Turner.

Attached files 

Comment

Ohio HiLos
            Posted by [turkeytail]

few recent mailbox "Finds".

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4502.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	196462 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4500.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	196463 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4194.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	196464 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4201.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	196465
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
            X