• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dovetail / St. Charles

St. Charles
    Time Period : 7500 B.C. to 6000 B.C.
    Shape : Corner Notched
    Description:
    Also known as Dovetail. A medium to large size, broad, thin, elliptical, corner notched point with a dovetail base. Blade edges are beveled on opposite sides when resharpened. The base is convex and most examples exhibit high quality flaking. There is a rare variant that has the barbs clipped (clipped wing) as in the Decatur type. There are many variations on base style from bifurcated to eared, rounded or squared. Base size varies from small to very large.
    From a technical point of view Dovetail/St. Charles is a cluster not a type, there are at least four or five statistically different types of dovetail. The classic Ohio button base, two varieties from Illinois and Missouri, a generic non button base style common in parts of Ohio, Indiana -and- Kentucky. I did an undergrad thesis on them, measured the width of the base relative to the neck, width -and- depth and angle of notches, and there were four very distinct clusters and a fifth if you included a notched base version. This paragraph courtesy of Clovisoid
    A few of our members finds:

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

A Family Treasure
    Tim Dunham, Otterville, Missouri
    Originally published in the Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol.57, No.2, pg.98

The St. Charles type dovetail pictured was plowed up in the 1970's on Heath Creek near the Township of Longwood, Missouri. It was originally found by Charles Walker while planting corn. I acquired this point in November 2007 at the estate sale of his wife, Mabel Walker.

This part of Missouri is quite unique in that three geographical areas; the Northwest and Northeast Prairie Region and the Ozark Highland Region come together here within three separate counties. Heath Creek starts in northwest Pettis County and flows to the east before making a slight jog north into Saline County, before emptying into the Lamine River in Cooper County. The Walker family farmed in both Pettis and Saline Counties, so the wife was not sure exactly which county it was found in. The family estate sale was located in Saline County, therefore, I used Saline County as county of discovery. Saline County is bordered on the north by the Missouri River and is very well known by collectors for some of the best Paleo and early Archaic points found in Central Missouri

This dovetail is 5 1/4"and made from a high grade of glossy gray Crescent Quarry chert. It has a needle tip with just a slight bevel, making it very close to being a first stage dovetail. There are a few minor plow dings, as seen in the photo. I feel I have been very fortunate to add this beautiful artifact to my collection.

Used by permission of the publisher
    To learn more about or to join the Central States Archaeological Society, click here: http://www.csasi.org/
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Just wanted to add my St. Charles/dovetail to the collection. Found outside of Champaign, Illinois on the Salt Fork River.

Personal find by Dovetail

Comment

All 3 personal finds of Clovisoid in Indiana.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_2014-03-19 [replaced].jpg
Views:	1673
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	196430

Comment

from Turkeytails collection

Last edited by gregszybala; 09-07-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Attached files 
              Last edited by gregszybala; 08-12-2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Henry co. Tennessee. Dover chert.

Comment

Working...
                X