Malaga Cove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malaga Cove

Malaga Cove points are found along the Southern California Coastal area from Orange County northwest into Santa Barbara County. They were first found at the Malaga Cove site which is on the northwest corner of the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Los Angeles County. the site is the Tongva village known as "Chowigna" when the Spaniards first landed in the area in 1542. the site was properly excavated in 1936 by Edwin Francis Walker with students from the University of Southern California (USC)..
    Malaga Cove points are leaf shaped and average from 1/2 to 2 inches, yet a fair amount will be larger and even smaller.. They are usually flaked from Monterey Chert, but are also found made from Fused Shale,-and- Quartzite. there are a small amount made from Coso Obsidian, which is located 140 miles to the Northwest and brought into the area thru the extensive trade network that was found in California before the arrival of the Spaniards.
    Malaga Cove points first appear 1600 years ago and continued in use up until the Mission period.

the finest Malaga I have ever found, it measures 3/4 of a inch and is made from a beautiful spotted Monterey Chert

a 4 inch Malaga Knife, made from heat treated Monterey Chert.. actually found by a bird dog that tripped over the knife while on point..

Click image for larger version

Name:	BueltonPoints00009_zps51279342.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	196186
    a handful of Malagas found on a private ranch in central Santa Barbara county. all are made from Monterey Chert which shows the wide variation in color this particular Chert comes in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Find0108081_zps22233305-1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	196187
    this Malaga is 1 1/4 inches in length and is typical of what i find close to my home. I had just plucked it from the ground as you can still see soil stuck to the tip and sides.
    while not really old and fairly common locally, I do enjoy every Malaga Cove point i find
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
Working...
X