Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to On-Line Articles

JSTOR

JSTOR (a registered trademark of ITHAKA) is a non-profit-making digital library with a mission to expand access to scholarly knowledge and preserve it for future generations.

The website is here:

Usually, when you follow a link to an article held in its database (eg if you found the article via Google or another search engine) you will get only a preview of the first page, or a view of the abstract from a paper. You’ll also see a message that says:

“You are not currently logged in through a participating institution or individual account. See the login page for more information.”

Log-in permission to access full articles requires you to be registered via an affiliated academic institution (which will have paid a subscription fee), but in March 2012, JSTOR launched the “Register & Read” initiative as an experiment. This is intended to allow individuals who are not affiliated to participating institutions to access some of the content (generally articles from a period 3-5 years ago). By registering as an individual, you can view this subset of articles in full, although not copy or download them.

- Articles which you wish to read can be added to your virtual “bookshelf”
    - You can have up to three items on your shelf at one time.
    - Each item must remain on your shelf for 14 days.
    - After 14 days, you can remove that item and add another.

There’s more information about “Register & Read” here:
    What's in this article: What is a personal account? Who uses a personal account? How do I register for a personal account? What can I do with a personal account? What is a personal account? A re...

… and you can register for access here:
    https://www.jstor.org/action/registr...edirectUri=%2F

PDF versions of some articles are also available for purchase and download if you are so inclined, with prices typically between 10-50 Dollars.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

ACADEMIA.EDU

Academia.edu is a platform for academics to share research papers. The company's mission is to accelerate the world's research. Currently, there are over 1.5 million papers across almost a million interest areas.

The website is here:
    Academia.edu is a place to share and follow research.

Although you can view papers on the website, you can’t download without registering (but still need to remain respectful of author copyright).

The registration process asks about your academic credentials, research affiliations, papers you have authored (with an opportunity to upload them) etc but you can simply skip those steps and register as an “Independent Researcher”.

You have to enter topics in which you have an interest and then must choose a minimum of three researchers in these fields (from a list that pops up) who you want to “follow”. You will get e-mails notifying you of papers in which you might be interested, based on the information you have submitted.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

PLOS ONE

PLOS ONE is a repository from the Public Library of Science for over 100,000 peer-reviewed papers and articles covering a wide range of subjects, including topics such as lithic research, anthropology, genetics etc:

The site operates with an Open-Access License which means that no permission is needed  to download, reuse, reprint, modify, distribute, and/or copy articles in PLOS journals, so long as the original authors and source are cited.

In most cases, this can be done by simply citing the original title and header for the article. For any reuse or redistribution of a work, you must also make clear the license terms under which the work was published.

Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their article, but no further permission is required from the authors or the publishers for re-use.

Comment

AMNH DIGITAL ARCHIVES

The American Museum of Natural History Research Library Digital Repository has free pdf downloads of many of its interesting and highly detailed bulletins available here:

The site has a search engine, but there’s also an extensive alphabetical subject list here:

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspac...e?type=subject

Don’t be put off by the fact that it’s a “Natural History” archive. Many of the early bulletins concern expeditions and other research centred around the anthropology, lifestyle and artefacts used by Native American cultures. The reports generally focus on religious practices and everyday life rather than arrowheads and weaponry.

Comment

THE INTERNET ARCHIVE

The Internet Archive is a non-profit internet library which provides near-unrestricted access to historical collections that exist in digital format for the benefit of researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public. Much of the material is out of copyright and where there are restrictions they generally relate to bulk re-use or commercial use.

The text section of the archive is here:

It provides documents in a variety of formats including html, plain text, pdf files, EPUB, Kindle etc. Not every format is available for every document and some pdf documents are available in choices of colour or b&w or with/without illustrations.

It’s a great source for monographs, journals, papers and also out-of-print complete books published in earlier times. Most of the Smithsonian Annual reports from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s (from the Bureau of Indian Affairs) can be accessed here… they’re full of fascinating and detailed information about artefacts, site excavations and Native American customs/lifestyles.

The only down-side is that some of the large pdf documents have been scanned as image files and not OCR-converted to text. That means you can’t search within the document for particular topics, which is a pain for old publications which may run to several hundred pages.

Comment

GOOGLE SCHOLAR

Google Scholar is a more advanced subsection of the Google database which is more suited to academics and researchers. It contains citations/abstracts (sometimes fulltext) of scholarly articles and also preprints, conference proceedings, dissertations etc. The content is submitted by publishers (or is open-access) but note that not every publisher submits to the database… for example, Elsevier currently does not.

The link is here:
            Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. Search across a wide variety of disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions.

Advanced Features

If you click on the drop-down arrow in the search box you will see these choices:

You can limit your searches by author, title, journal, publication date and subject

Getting More from Standard Google

Not everyone realises, but you can get a lot more precision from the standard version of Google using these tips:

Putting your search term in quotation marks such as “clovis fluted points”, searches for that exact phrase rather than all references to clovis, fluted and points.

You can cover more options using the capitalized “OR” operator. So, searching for clovis OR folsom “fluted points” will cover both types in your search.

Putting a "minus" sign in front of a word without a space will exclude it from the search. So, searching for paleo “fluted points” –clovis will exclude Clovis references from your search.

You can search a site which doesn’t have its own search engine using what’s called the “site:somesite.com” modifier to make the Google search site specific. So, “clovis fluted points” site:http://arrowheads.com will search our site for that specific phrase. You don’t need to put the “www” part of the web address into the search term.

You can include similar words or synonyms into your search using the “tilde” character without a space before the word. The tilde character is this one: "~" which is on the key that also has the hash sign: # on it. So, searching for “clovis fluted” ~knapping will return searches containing words similar to “knapping”.

You can use the “filetype:” modifier to search for specific types of files. So, searching for “clovis fluted points” filetype: and adding pdf (without a space after the colon) will only return Acrobat files containing that specific phrase.

You can search for information by date range too, using the “X..Y” modifier where X and Y are two dates separated by two periods (full stops or decimal points). So, “clovis fluted points” 1950..1960 will return information within those date ranges.

The modifiers and commands can be used in conjunction with one another.

If ever you want to know what something means, you can use the “define:” command. So, searching for define: followed by overshot flake (without a space after the colon) will get you to an answer more quickly.

Comment

DOAJ (DIRECTORY OF OPEN ACCESS JOURNALS)

What is DOAJ?

DOAJ is an on-line directory of open access journals which provides direct links to the original content. Not every publisher, journal (or author) provides open-access material and DOAJ provides an index of those that do. In addition, DOAJ only indexes those journals which have an adequate peer-review or editorial quality control process.

The website is here:
              DOAJ is a unique and extensive index of diverse open access journals from around the world, driven by a growing community, committed to ensuring quality content is freely available online for everyone.

What is Open Access?

In most cases, the rights to articles and papers published in journals belong to the publisher and readers pay to access the content. Anyone wanting to reproduce or use the content elsewhere must obtain permission from the publisher and is often required to pay an additional fee for the privilege.

Open Access (OA) works differently. Authors agree with their publishers to make their work accessible and available for reuse, without permission or fees, and for virtually any purpose. Anyone may copy, distribute or reuse the content providing the author and original source are properly cited. This is normally covered via a Creative Commons Attribution license (of which there are several different types) of the kind that applies to much of the content of Wikipedia for example.

In general, open access is a way for authors to bring scholarly and scientific work to a wider audience and provide information which assists other researchers in a mutually beneficial way. Papers covering work which has been publicly funded are also frequently published on an open access basis.

Coverage of DOAJ

The major advantage of DOAJ is that it (currently) covers over 1.5 million open access articles from almost 10,000 journals published in 134 countries so that you don’t have to hunt down individual publishers’ websites. The search engine covers all the journals and articles at title level and author names; more than half of them are searchable at article content level.

The disadvantage is that you will need to refine your search parameters carefully (and remembering to exclude journals which do not publish in English if that’s the only language you speak) unless you are prepared to wade through pages of search engine “hits”.

DOAB (Directory of Open Access Books)

Although it has nowhere near the coverage of DAOJ, there is a sister website which has open access books:

Comment

WILEY ONLINE LIBRARY

The Wiley Online Library (formerly known as Wiley InterScience) is a subscription-based library of John Wiley & Sons. Generally full subscription fees are out of the reach of ordinary folk and you are very fortunate if you have membership access via a research institution, educational establishment or library who is paying the fees.

For members, Wiley currently provides access to over 4 million articles from 1,500 peer-reviewed journals, more than 14,000 books, and hundreds of other reference works. The website is here:

Generally, articles and papers within the library are not open access – you need to pay for them (either via membership or individually) but there are exceptions. A reasonable proportion of older papers are open access via Creative Commons licenses/attributions of various types and sometimes papers move to being open access a while after their initial publication. Also some authors go out of their way to make their research available to a wider audience via such licenses. Look for the little "Free" open padlock icon against the title of papers which are listed after you have performed a search (but look closely because sometimes only the abstract for the paper is open access):

Wiley Open Access

In addition to the open access possibilities mentioned above, Wiley also has open access arrangements with a small number of specific journals. Currently, those journals don’t really cover the kinds of subjects of interest to us and the journal list is quite short:

Regeneration
                Clinical Case Reports
                Geoscience Data Journal
                Cancer Medicine
                Veterinary Medicine and Science

Comment

Working...
                X