No announcement yet.

Hardstone Axes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a fine specimen Charlie and to all the many others on here thanks and keep them coming. What a great show of axe heads!    
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Olden wrote:

That's a real beauty Charlie! It seems to have dodged the plow for the most part - wonder if the color difference is from fertilizers put on the fields?
        Thanks, Olden. I'm not sure what caused the stark difference in color, whether something about the rock or very different patination. I've always favored the buff colored side personally. Agree Hoss, some nice axes from all around the country.
      Rhode Island

Comment

A couple more from RI that were not in as deep a storage as I thought A full groove from East Providence and a 3/4 groove from North Providence.

Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]rmartin wrote:

Originally posted by Hoss post=38814
          Those are awesome Ray how big is the full groove? 
            It is almost 6 inches long.
            Wow now I learned something new :woohoo: ...never knew axes like these were so small in size. I thought a foot or more. I now adjust my eyes to look for smaller identifying markers of parts of axes sticking out of the ground. I have been looking for much larger rocks. :crazy: Not that it means I'll find one but better chance now and lots more rocks I'll have to check out :S
          I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Awesome thread

Comment

Not a personal find. From western RI near border with Ct. Comes this nice 2 3/4" miniature hardstone full groove axe with a little polish and a perfect bit. Utilitarian or child's toy? Could be either I guess...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-11-24 [replaced].jpg
Views:	173
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	200997
              Rhode Island

Comment

Personal find and photos by SDhunter
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Personal find (S.D.) and photos by SDHunter
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan