Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodland Pipes

Three Woodland Pipes
    Originally published in the Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol.57, No.3, pg.141

Click image for larger version

Name:	w231.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	195969

Above: A Late Woodland Vase Style Pipe from Fulton County, Indiana. It is made from Petosky Stone, which shows fossil coral inclusions. This small 2 3/4" in length pipe shows wonderful form. The Vase Pipe style continued to be utilized in Mississippian times. The pipe was found by Leroy Eshelman near the twin bridges on his family farm, six miles west of Rochester, Indiana, in 1935. Collection of Jim Felke, Rochester, Indiana.

Name:	w232.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	195970

Above: A Late Woodland pipe featuring an angled bowl and made from a grey pipestone. It measures 3 inches in length and is from Newton County, Indiana. It was formerly in the Ft. Wayne, Indian collection of Leslie Hill. He was known at the turn of the century as a collector of exceptional quality artifacts. Collection of Len and Janie Weider, Westerville, Ohio.

Name:	w234.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	195973

Name:	w233.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	195972

The Above two images are of a huge bi-conical tube pipe from Meiggs County, Tennessee. This pipe dates to the Early Woodland Period, is highly polished and finely made. It was found near the Hiawassee River. It measures 7 1/2 inches in length and is made from a dark greenish steatite. Collection of Philip Helms, Decatur, Tennessee.

"Used by Permission of the Author"
    To learn more about or to join the Central States Archaeological Society, click here: http://www.csasi.org/
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

A View Inside a Woodland Elbow Pipe
    Originally published in the Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol.57, No.3, pg.145

Name:	w27.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	195975

An amazing Elbow style pipe that has broken in half and shows the internal drilling. This pipe is huge, measuring more than 6 inches in length. This remarkable pipe appears to have broken in ancient times, and was not sawed using modern machinery. Collection of Floyd Ritter, Collinsville, Illinois.

Duplicated from the “Resources” section of arrowheads.com and reproduced with permission.
    Used by Permission of the Author
    To learn more about or to join the Central States Archaeological Society, click here: http://www.csasi.org/
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
    X