Fort Payne Chert (SE Illinois)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Payne Chert (SE Illinois)

The Fort Payne Formation comprises mainly limestone with some shales and is rich in chert nodules, lenses and beds of numerous types. It spreads across much of the southeast-central United States. Its northwesternmost occurrence is in southeastern Illinois, where it is more than 600 feet thick (Pope County), thinning out to the west and north. Across western Kentucky it maintains thicknesses of more than 600 feet, crossing into western Tennessee, northern Mississippi and Alabama (where it is partly submerged under Pickwick and Wilson Lakes) and petering out into northwest Georgia where it merges with the Tuscumbia Limestone Formation.

The formation is centred on western Kentucky, so all Fort Payne Chert types are therefore covered in the main entry for this group of lithics in the “East Central” section, with other Kentucky lithics here:

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/information-center-gc33/lithic-artifacts-technology-materials-gc71/lithic-material-types-sourcing-gc72/east-central-mi-in-oh-ky-tn-northern-ms-al-ga-aa/192961-fort-payne-chert-western-kentucky-adjacent-states
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X