Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steatite ( Soapstone ) Quarrying and quarry blanks

Steatite (Soapstone) Quarrying & Quarry Blanks

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Posted by [CMD]

Here's an old photo of the Ochee Springs Soapstone Quarry in Johnston, Rhode Island:

Posted by [CMD]
    Another old photo of a soapstone outcrop at Ochee Springs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n234174[/ATTACH]

Posted by [CliffJ]
    Cool pics. Is that not a lug handle in pic #2? If so, that is probably an end part of a big thick bowl!

Posted by [CMD]
    CliffJ wrote:
    Cool pics. Is that not a lug handle in pic #2? If so, that is probably an end part of a big thick bowl!

Cliff, if you mean the little piece sticking up in the middle front of the 2nd pic, I don't think it's a lug, but just a piece left on when the blank was pried loosed from the outcrop wall. I've always wondered if the thick end, as seen to the left in the 2nd pic might have been a lug end. It's the far end in pic 3 and the left side in pic 4. A little more bulbous there, didn't really take photos to feature it, but I thought that's where a lug might have been fashioned and a shallow small bowl or cup the intent. Funny thing, found it my first day in that field, and never a piece in that field since.

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Thanks Charlie! Enjoy threads like this. Are there larger outcrops of soapstone out East? I have seen whole kitchen counter tops and sinks made of soapstone. Would have to be a huge quarry.

Posted by [CMD]
    gregszybala wrote:
    Thanks Charlie! Enjoy threads like this. Are there larger outcrops of soapstone out East? I have seen whole kitchen counter tops and sinks made of soapstone. Would have to be a huge quarry.

Well, there were an abundance of prehistoric quarries in New England. Don't think we have any commercial soapstone quarries though. Actually, don't know where the commercial quantity is quarried. I think California has a lot as well. Thanks, Greg!

Posted by [CMD]
    A very large steatite kettle and two smaller bowls. These were excavated at the Transitional Archaic-Contact Era West Ferry Site, on Conanicut Island, Narragansett Bay, Jamestown, RI. Transitional Archaic in age. The artifacts are part of an exhibit documenting the West Ferry site at the Jamestown Public Library, which was built at the site location.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Awesome. When I first visited a soapstone quarry in SC I saw the bowls in the rock but I was just visiting it. I actually thought at the time that art students or stone collectors were making these cut-outs, depressions....and I found some points that same day in the fields below at the river edge. DUH. I feel so stupid now LOLOL.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
    X