No announcement yet.

Tiger Chert (NW Colorado / SW Wyoming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Chert (NW Colorado / SW Wyoming)

Tiger Chert

Tiger Chert, is one of my favorite lithics, a northwest Colorado / southwest Wyoming material.

I have seen very few points made from this lithic, It may be from the small quarry with a small distribution of the lithic. It could be the nature of the material its self with the bands rendered it weak along the bands. I have seen more in tools such as scrapers more predominate. This lithic has a long history of use, dating back to Clovis (Paleo era artifacts)found at the Mahaffy Cache in Boulder Colorado.

Here is a link, note the pic on the forefront of the Tiger chert blade. Rare Clovis artifacts document Boulder's prehistory - Boulder Daily Camera:
    T hirteen thousand years ago, Clovis people roamed The Hill, and there are 83 stone age tools to prove it. Archaeologists now believe the prehistoric people may have had an ice age megafauna butche…

Many of the natural tabs are thin and flat. Some of the Zebra Flint has very obvious bands before it is knapped. After a blade or point is knapped some flintknappers have placed the blade in direct sunlight for one or two months to bring out the bands. I have included six pictures showing obvious bands and six pictures that don't show the bands. This lithic material is known by many names including; Oil Chert, Tiger Chert, Bridger Basin Chert and Green River Chert.

Here are a few artifacts and lithics, personal finds.

Following photos courtesy of Ron Kelley
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiger Chert 14.jpg Views:	2 Size:	791.7 KB ID:	263336
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiger Chert 16.jpg Views:	2 Size:	486.0 KB ID:	263334Click image for larger version  Name:	Tiger Chert 17.jpg Views:	2 Size:	533.6 KB ID:	263335

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Additional pieces of Tiger chert
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	727.3 KB ID:	266898

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	659.4 KB ID:	266900
    Samples and Photos courtesy of Ron Kelley
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

photos and examples provided by realistone
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great article out of Wyoming that speaks of Tiger chert and a new way of finding artifacts made of this stone .
        Tiger chert is a stone that formed about 50 million years ago in Wyoming and the surrounding region, and artifacts made from the rock are found around the…
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
        X