Georgetown Blue Flint (Texas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgetown Blue Flint (Texas)

There is - as far as I know - only one deposit in the whole of North America that might be described as “flint” by conventional geological terminology. It comes from the Cretaceous Austin Chalk on the eastern edge of the Edwards plateau in the vicinity of Georgetown in Williamson and southern Bell Counties in Texas. The Georgetown material occurs in a narrow range of greyish colours, of which the steel-blue/grey glassy translucent variant known as “Georgetown Blue” is the highest quality for knapping.
    In fact it’s probably the best quality material anywhere in North America and is highly sought after by modern knappers today. Cobbles of the material may also be found in the rivers and streams along the edge of this area.

More details here:

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/pl...eorgetown.html
    There is also a very similar material found in limestone quarries in Hays County, Texas that comes close (but it’s not a true flint) and also a “flint-like” nodular material which comes out of the Niobrara chalk in South Dakota.

Last two photos courtesy of Ron Kelly
    Last edited by gregszybala; 02-12-2016, 12:45 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X