X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spokeshaves

SPOKESHAVES
    What is a Spokeshave?
    The term is used generically to describe stone tools found from all time periods which have a distinctive semi-circular concave retouched notch in one edge (also known as an “encoche”). Some people call the tool form a "crescentic scraper". They are usually uniface and made from robust material that knaps to a sharp edge such as flints/cherts. Sometimes they are broad enough that they could have been held in two hands with the notch in the middle. In some cases, these tools may have multiple notches of different sizes. It’s also not unusual to find such notches on “multi-tools” which may have a blade or scraper edge and/or a perforator point as well as a notch.
    What were they used for?
    The term is used to describe the characteristic appearance and features of the artefact but without necessarily any certainty about the uses for it was employed. In some cases, use-wear analysis has provided insight into the likely functions which are generally accepted to be of a wood-working nature, with the tool being used in the manner of a drawknife or small transverse plane. Typical uses were probably bark-stripping, thinning and smoothing of sticks for use as shafts, poles or spindles. Generally they are referred to as arrow-shaft (or spear-shaft) smoothers but poles, spindles and other forms of smoothed wood were needed for all kinds of other purposes too. Spokeshaves would have been useful tools for the construction of bows, handles for hafted tools, drilling and spinning spindles, cradleboard frames and a host of other everyday utilitarian items.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Some examples posted by members:
      These from member [INV83]. Note the section of cortex in place on one of the examples to serve as a non-slip thumb grip.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Classic example from member [Rosenfeld 1988]:

And another from member [Chase]:

Comment

A nice group from Missouri - some of which were hafted - from member [Ron Kelley] showing arcs of different sizes for poles of different diameters:

Comment

Some less usual materials posted by members.
          This one from the Schuylkill River in PA posted by member [ChescoPA] looks like it may be made from basalt. The bevel was probably produced by natural breakage but has been exploited by some quickly-done secondary work to create an expedient tool:

This one posted by member [ituckeri] is made from obsidian:

Comment

This one from member [autographcollector11] has two notches of different sizes as well as a cutting/scraping edge and what looks like a burinated chisel edge. A true multi-tool:

Comment

A nice Adena knife from Lake County, Indiana posted by member [JR] which has a spokeshave feature too:

Comment

Another amazing example from member [Chase] which would have been hafted and has been made from a salvaged point:

Comment

Working...
                X