Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Central Sites & Cultures (General)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Central Sites & Cultures (General)

Antiquities of Wisconsin

An 1855 study of earthworks in the state of Wisconsin, by IA Lapham, and published by the Smithsonian. Many plates.
    http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/An...qHome.html#TOC

THE ANTIQUITIES OF WISCONSIN, AS SURVEYED AND DESCRIBED BY I. A. LAPHAM CIVIL ENGINEER, ETC., ON BEHALF OF THE AMERICAN ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY. PUBLISHED BY THE SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION, WASHINGTON D.C. JUNE 1855
    Electronic Edition Copyright 1999 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System.
    Rhode Island

[[[Moderator's note:
    Information here relates to the Native American site at Cahokia Mounds in St. Clair County, southern Illinois, between East St. Louis and Collinsville.
    The unnamed prehistoric inhabitants of the Cahokia Mounds should not be confused with the Algonquian-speaking Native American tribe known as the Cahokia - originally located in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Arkansas, later removed to Kansas, and finally to Oklahoma. The Cahokia people were subsequently absorbed by the Kaskaskia and finally the Peoria.]]]

The Cahokia Mounds

Here's a link to a bulletin titled "Explorations into Cahokia Archaeology" from the Illinois Archaeological Society:

Note that this will be a slow download - it's a 188 page, 74MB pdf file
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Early Woodland Cultures in Illinois
      Posted by [rmartin]

Interesting paper by Kenneth Farnsworth, a noted Illinois archaeologist on Early Woodland Cultures in Illinois.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Illinois Archaeology
        Posted by [gregszybala]

ILLINOIS ARCHAEOLOGY - BULLETIN 1 OF THE ILLINOIS ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

You can download Bulletin 1 of the Illinois Archaeological Survey published by the University of Illinois in 1959 as a pdf file from the HathiTrust Digital Library here:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
        X